.
. Indiana Jones and the Golden Death
Chapter 1: Prelude to Adventure

Mountain Top 1940

The mountain top exploded with lava. Red molten rock cascaded down the mountainside. Indiana Jones stepped back from this model of his most recent dig and asked his students, "What did we learn from this experience?"

"Don't get too close to an erupting volcano?" chirped one of girls at the back of the room.

The room stifled fits of laughter as Indiana Jones reached up and touched the rather ridiculous bandage around his head.

"Okay, okay, so maybe I did get a bit too curious," he grinned. "But don't you think it's fascinating? The Aztecs believed that this eruption was a symbol of their gods' anger. They would attempt to regain their favor with numerous forms of human sacrifice--including cutting the hearts out from willing men and women, or by hurling human or animal sacrifices into the volcano quench the wrath of their sun god, Uitzilopochtli."

"I can't understand how they could have done that!" whispered one of the students, visibly shocked.

Indy paused for a moment, recalling his own vivid experience with human sacrifice, and shuddered. If only his students knew of the horrors that people still committed in the far corners of this earth. Although, if there was one person who had deserved to be sacrificed, it was Willie. When they'd eventually reached Delhi that time, he almost wished he'd let her roast! Pity they'd lost contact though. He'd have to go check out her new show in New York sometime....

"Dr. Jones?" one student asked impatiently. "Are you going to go back there?"

Indy's attention quickly returned to the subject.

"I hope so, except we need funding for the excavation, and since my....falling out with our last sponsor, Mr. Donovan, it looks like I could be waiting a long time." Indy said sadly.

"Well, if you do, give Utilo-whatshisname our regards!"

At that moment, the class bell rang it's familiar shrill tone, and almost immediately the class began to file out of the room.

'Students,' thought Indy. 'They always have someplace to get to.'

Except this time, he was not left alone completely. Drake Hawthorne stood waiting by the the window. Drake was one of the few in his class who did, in actual fact, take notice of his lectures. He was a strong boy of eighteen, and would consistently speak out knowledgeably in class. The essays he submitted were always thoroughly researched, with plenty of original thought. In fact, Indy considered, he was probably his best student.

"Dr. Jones, could I have a minute?" he asked.

"Sure Drake. What's on your mind?" Indy studied the boy--he was obviously deeply concerned about something.

"I have a problem. It's about my father--you know who he is don't you?"

Of course Indy knew of him. He was one of the most prestigious historians in the country, his writings had revolutionized theories on several cultures, and Indy had always suspected that Drake's father was the main reason behind his study in archaeology. Indy could relate to that. His own father had always pushed him into studying languages.

"Sure Drake, but if this is about your final grade for that piece on Celtic legend, don't worry, you did great." Indy smiled.

"NO, IT'S NOT ABOUT ANY ESSAY!" Drake exclaimed. "He's....he's dead."

Now this was a bit more than Indy had bargained for. A desperate plea to up a grade, sure, or a sly request to see the new exam paper maybe, but this?

"How did it happen?" asked Indy calmly.

"He was shot, Dr. Jones. I'd rather not talk about it here, but he left a letter which I think you should take a look at. The police said to turn over anything that might be of assistance in the investigation, but I believe this is quite possibly the reason why he was killed. I returned home two days ago to find our home ransacked, and his body tied to a chair in the study. He'd been tortured, Dr. Jones, but I had no clue as to why--my father is only a historian! I had no clue as to why, that is, until I checked behind one of the books in the library. He keeps old love letters from my mother there. And I discovered this."

Drake withdrew a small brown envelope from his pocket, and handed it to Indy. The first thing Indy noticed was the post mark, "London, England".

"I read it before I brought it here," said Drake. "It is not a love letter." Indy opened it and began to read. It said:

"DR. HAWTHORNE, I AM IN GREAT NEED OF YOUR RESEARCH. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT IT DOES NOT FALL INTO THE HANDS OF THE DARK DESTROYERS. I AM VERY CLOSE TO DISCOVERING THE DRAGON OF THE SUN."

"Interesting," Indy said with amazement. "Which book did you find it behind?"

"The History of Ancient Brazil," Drake replied.

"I suggest we go to your house immediately." At once Drake headed for the door.

"Why so fast?"

"I want to find out more about my father's death," replied Drake, calling over his shoulder. Indy followed, and he and Drake headed down the hall to the main exit doors.

"We'll take my car," Indy said. As they climbed into the automobile, Indy thought, 'I wonder what the research is...'


Indy drove up to the door of the Hawthorne house. He walked in and, having been there before, immediately headed for the library. He searched the shelves, and took "The History of Ancient Brazil".

"Why are you looking at that?" Drake asked, curious.

"The research," Indy replied, looking at marked pages. On one page was painted a golden dragon.

Indy let out a long whistle.

"What?" asked Drake, impatient.

"It's the Dragon of the Sun."

"And...?" Drake asked, growing even more impatient.

"And it's worth a fortune, kid. And most likely pretty important to someone."

"Could this have been the reason my father was killed?"

"It's a good bet. The only thing I don't understand is this:" he unfolded the message. "It says here the Dark Destroyers. Now, I've seen some crazy cults before..." and briefly, he found himself thinking about Willie and Pankot for the second time in one day, "and plenty of religious fanatics, and all sorts of killers and cannibals, but I've never even HEARD of the Dark Destroyers."

"You mean they don't exist?" Drake asked, perplexed.

"No. I just mean that if they do, they've managed to keep themselves hidden. And if they've done that, that means they're very, very, good. Which means that your father, and that mysterious message-sender, may have gotten in way over their heads."

"Well we've got to do something--they killed my dad!"

"Look, kid. We're no police, and we're certainly not some sort of vigilante group. This isn't our business." Indy began to put the book back. When he had first come to Drake's house, he had been excited--the Dragon of the Sun would probably be enough to double the Museum of Natural History's yearly income. And if Indy could get it for them, it would nearly triple his. Marcus Brody, his friend at the Museum, and Curator of Natural Artifacts, would be most pleased with a find like the Dragon of the Sun. But Indy, as he was trying to talk sense into Drake, had also been trying to talk sense into himself. Because he was right--it wasn't any of their business. And he certainly didn't want to get himself killed. Or worse yet, tortured and then killed. So he had decide to forget the whole thing.

"But they killed my dad!" It looked as if Drake was beginning to lose his handle on reality. "We've got to do SOMETHING...anything!"

As he turned around to calm Drake, he looked at the interior of the house for the first time. Drake had already managed to pick up some of the ransacked objects, but he had lived alone with his father ever since the passing of his mother, Judy, so he hadn't nearly finished picking up yet. And there, on the carpet beneath Indy's feet, were several blood stains. Briefly, Indy was filled with rage, and a sudden determination. He cursed himself silently for what he was about to do, for always needing to do the right thing, no matter how unethical. But then again--even though seeking revenge for a man's death wasn't his business...archaeology was.

<== ==>


Indyfan.com Site Author: Micah Johnson
Page Author: Mola Ram, Toht, Aaron, and Mack
Created: June 16, 1998
Last modified: June 17, 1998