I agree with you both but.....

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Darth Indy from ? (65.162.7.167) on Tuesday, March 18, 2003 at 3:12pm :

In Reply to: If I recall, correct.... posted by Michaelson from eeespace208.utsi.edu (150.182.24.208) on Monday, March 17, 2003 at 2:34pm :

I understand with anything you have a lot of Belloq's and the black market lurking around. I agree with both of you, some of these things do belong in a museum legally and sometimes just ethically. I like collecting Chinese antiques since the communist government there would like nothing more than to destroy a lot of their historical pieces and cover up significant dig areas (The Three Gorges Dam project) so nobody can see the origins of their non-communist religious Taoist/Buddhist past. I know many practice these religions today of course there but if you look China is trying to hush any form of non secular "mysticism" out of existence. As for the pre-columbian stuff? I dont know I dont have the money to buy anything of REAL historical significance and if I did get something that was I'd donate it to the Nelson Art Museum which has an extensive collection of Chinese art and even a reconstructed bhuddhist temple. I mean people find things like a rare first printed copy of the Declaration of Independence from 1776 in an old painting they bought at a flea market and I dont hear anyone cry foul play when they sell it at sotherby's to a private collector for 2 million dollars. It's more about ethical morality in the field I guess historians should be made to take an oath like doctors do in the medical field.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com