Regarding belloq's post about DTS vs THX

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steppenwolf from server.hobbystage.net (64.66.0.65) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 1:59pm :

belloq mentioned something about "THX edge enhancement processing" which makes the picture look bad on high quality monitors/TVs.
I'm not yet a big DVD collector, but I see a plasma TV and many more DVDs in my near future and I'd like to know a bit more about that topic.
I'm kind of weary of buying the films on DVD, if they don't look their absolute best. After all, I got them on tape, and it would disappoint me to see anything but spectecular (= less-than-optimal) picture quality on a $4k TV.
So what's the dealie? Does the THX edge enhancement yield results similar to an oversharpened jpg? That would suck!

On a tangent:
It seems Lucas loves sharpness above all else. Just look how flat yet sharp Episode I and especially Episode II look. Maybe the flatness and lack of richness in tones is due to the lossy compression, but the image is always sharp to give us the illusion of higher resolution and definition. I found that quite annoying and lackluster.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com