Re: Still, after reading back earlier--

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brett Maverick Lambert from bigy5385y286e.ab.hsia.telus.net (209.89.92.252) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 4:28pm :

In Reply to: Still, after reading back earlier-- posted by Operator Jake from cas01.mtsano01.ga.comcast.net (68.47.0.7) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 at 2:27pm :

I will agree with you that saving lives is more important than antiquities at a museum, but I honestly don't buy it that the "coalition" did their best to protect the museums.

Take the liberation of Western Europe in WWII. Allied forces were able to protect museums from possible looting in Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels et al, drive the Axis powers out of there AND liberate the people of those countries.

With this current case, they've placed a much higher emphasis on the Ministry of Oil. They promised to protect the archeological heritage, but that was just lip service. This was placed above the museums and most importantly, the civilians. There's more interest in cutting down a statue than serving the true needs of the Iraqi people. The case of troops gunning down 16 protestors is indicative of that.

I hate to say it, this is imperialism, not liberation.

I don't have all the answers, but much more could have been done.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com