Up with Popeye Doyle!

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graml from user-2ivev42.dialup.mindspring.com (165.247.124.130) on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 8:00am :

In Reply to: Atticus Finch sucks... posted by Sean from ? (216.221.81.99) on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 at 0:54am :

Wait...That doesn't sound right.
I was surprised that Rick Blaine scored so high. I suspect it was due to Casablanca's popularity more than for any truly "heroic" reason. As much as I like the character of Rick Blaine, it has to be admitted that he was a reluctant hero at best and in slightly different circumstances, it isn't hard to imagine that he would've continued to look out for number one. I would've preferred to see Gandhi score higher.
But what impressed me the most was how balanced the list was. Even though I've got a few (mostly petty) reservations about placement on the list, I was happy there weren't any out-and-out cop-out picks. (Surely that breaks a record for the number of times "out" has been used in a single sentence.) I was ready for somebody like Magneto or that balding guy from Titanic to be picked as one of the top villains. But they stuck, by and large, to the classics who have stood the test of time. Would've been nice to see Daniel Day-Lewis' Bill the Butcher, but you can't win 'em all, can you? And if you did, what fun would that be?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com