Neat Raiders info from Bantha Tracks #17

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean from ? (216.221.81.99) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 at 10:33pm :

As most of you know by now, Hyperspace members can read old issues of Bantha Tracks, and as interesting Indiana Jones things pop up in it I'll post them here. This comes from an interview with Ben Burtt, discussing Raiders.

What's your favorite sound effect?

My tastes vary. It's pretty esoteric, but I'd say my favorite sound effect was made by the arrows in the 1938 version of The Adventures of Robin Hood. I just love that sound effect. It took me years to find out how it was done. Since a real arrow is designed for minimum friction, it is totally soundless, but in Robin Hood the arrows had this great singing sort of zing. I tracked down who did them and researched arrows of different dimensions and weights and types and thickness of feathers. We had a fletcher make one and our arrow had exactly the same sound. I used that arrow sound in Raiders for the dart trap and the Hovitos' blowguns. We'll probably need it too for the sound of a new vehicle in Revenge of the Jedi. It has a sharp cutting edge that subconsciously makes you feel like you're moving as fast as an arrow.

Never heard that before and thought I'd pass it on as it's kind of cool.

See ya,
Sean

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com