Your mission: Indy gear for 2004! (updated)

[ Reply ] [ Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim Elliott from dialup-4.233.131.54.Dial1.Manchester1.Level3.net (4.233.131.54) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 at 2:51pm :

In an attempt to break through the doldrums here on the board, I thought I'd dust off a question I first posed here in 1999 and then again a year later. I'm going to pose it in its original form despite dated references to the now-defunct Irridium satellite phone and the largely-passé Laura Croft.

Your mission: Indy gear for 2000!

Here's an exercise for the crowd, particularly the real archeologists and adventurers out there. How would YOU outfit an Indy for 2000 and beyond? A leather jacket, a canvas shoulder bag and a .45 were probably good choices in the 1930s and 40s, but have they been surpassed by new materials and technology?

For the sake of discussion, let's assume travel in varied climates; weapons in checked baggage for air travel but a cavalier attitude toward pesky local firearms ordinances; and a respect for traveling light.

Feel free to recommend new headgear (at your own peril!), Gore-Tex clothing, lightweight, concealable weapons, boots and suggested gear for whatever sort of shoulder bag you see fit, that sort of thing. Would today's Indy carry a Palm Pilot instead of a lined notebook? A GPS tracker rather than a compass? An Irridium phone instead of Western Union flimsies? Would he (or she, given Lara Croft's rise to fame) still take advantage of the abundant military surplus options out there today?

Looking forward to a lively discussion. Please be specific and offer links where appropriate.

Cheers!

Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail: ( default )
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link ( default )
URL:

This board is powered by the Mr. Fong Device from Cyberarmy.com