More thoughts..

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jiliac the Understanding from pm1-068.bigtimber.mcn.net on February 03, 1999 at 08:28:23:

In Reply to: length isn't all McCoy's fault posted by walker on February 03, 1999 at 06:32:00:

: Hey all,
: My understanding from what has been posted here by those in touch with the author is that the book was originally quite a bit longer. Unfortunately there was a time-travel scene that the publisher didn't like and asked McCoy to cut, which is why the book was delayed.

: As I was reading, it felt like there was a lot missing. For example, there were many references to time being out of joint. There were several references to Indy thinking about Marcus and being very moved for some reason. No reason for any of these moments are given, but I would expect Indy travelled into the future (he even makes a reference at one point as saying he is 25 years early or something, but never clarifies what he's talking about) and saw the death of Marcus. Also, there is no explanation for the epilogue where he sits on a bench and discusses the concept of time with the "expert" professor. It seemed like a pretty important concept to Indy, one which really didn't have much to do with the actual adventure that we see.

: I also felt that the whole 'crystal skull' stuff was a waste. If you take off that chapter, the epilogue, the 50 page opening in China and McCoy's afterword, the story of the staff and the book only lasts about 110 pages, which is pretty poor.

: In any case, McCoy ends by saying that he's passing the whip and the hat on, so maybe there is some hint that the publisher will continue the series, I don't know. It ends just before Indy begins Temple of Doom, so who knows.
: walker

I very much agree with you. I had that in mind while I was reading it, the time travel sequence that Lucasfilm Licensing didn't like. It DID seem as if some parts of the story were mysteriously cut, and that it wasn't quite complete. What in the heck did that journey to the past at the end have to do with anything? Or the part shortly after with the conversation with the disheveled professor? I thought that he would be revealed as a famous expert on the subject, such as Albert Einstein. Oh, well. I guess will never know. I'm sure the answers lie in the missing parts of the book...yet one more mystery...

Carry on.
Jiliac

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: