Re: Whip Tricks

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by illi smith from dialup1320-pri.voicenet.com on February 03, 1999 at 09:44:57:

In Reply to: Re: Whip Tricks posted by Indiana Joe on February 02, 1999 at 12:16:22:

: How many feet in length is your whip? 8? 10? 12? I have a 12 foot whip and it seems too long for tricks.

I use whips in length from 5 to 20 feet, it all depends on what type of trick you want to do. 12 feet is hard to do multiple cracking with, but as Dan said, it can be used for other tricks. Actually it is a perfect length for doing a wrap around trick. I use a 13 foot stock whip to do cutting work so a 12 foot should be fine but you may have to alter the way you crack a whip. Most people use a circus crack (verticle) to cut targets with the whip started on the ground behind them. I would suggest for a longer whip you start with the whip in front of you. You now have two options. 1) pull the whip along the gound behind you, raise your arm and throw it forward or 2) pull the whip up into the air and throw it back over your shoulder (it will pass alongside your face so BE CAREFUL), let it extend out behind you, then throw it forward (similar to fly fishing). I prefer the this method but I think the longer handle of a stock whip makes it easier. If you live in the States, try attending a Wild West Arts Club Convention, they're held all over the country.

Good Luck
Illi Smith

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: