Re: Whip Tricks

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on February 03, 1999 at 12:32:06:

In Reply to: Whip Tricks posted by illi smith on February 01, 1999 at 17:50:58:

: O.K., are there any good whip handlers out there? I have been using whips for about 8 years now and have mastered several of the old Vaudeville tricks. Some of these include taking a hankerchief out of my back pocket, cutting cigarettes off the top of my head/out of my mouth, cracking a whip around my assistants waist and extinguishing candles. One trick that I saw a man do out in Vegas about 6 years has still got me puzzled. His assistant held a target perpendicular to the backside of her head while facing him head on. He was then able to cut the target from behind her head using a "modified" circus crack (vertical). I have had very limited success in copying this trick, certainly not to the extent of having a live assistant hold it. If anyone knows how this trick is performed, or has any other tricks they would be willing to share, I would love to here from you!

: Thanks in advance,
: Illi Smith

I find it fascinating how your handling of a whip with any kind of expertise thrills younger crowds, but seems to disturb older folks. My kids have always been interested in my practicing with my whips, but once my dad asked me if I knew how to use it. There was a plastic cup sitting on a fense withing whip throw of me, so I snaked out the 12 foot whip, did a standard side throw, and for lack of a better describer, the cup literally exploded into very small pieces. His response was, "Good lord, put that thing away!" Now I'm no youngster, and was probably in my early 30's when this happened. It amused me that this seems to be the usual reaction. The kids, on the other hand, BEGGED me to wrap the whip around them and pull it fast to spin them out of the coils. Interesting. Has anyone else experienced this? Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]