Re: WELLL, yes and no......

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anejo Joe from 144.greenville-03-04rs.sc.dial-access.att.net on February 05, 1999 at 23:29:37:

In Reply to: WELLL, yes and no...... posted by Michaelson on February 05, 1999 at 14:31:52:

: : : Just found the Webley Mark VI gun that Indy used on eBay!
: : : It has a great picture and the price is not bad.
: : : Just check it out!
: : : -Webley-

: : Indy's 1911 Colt is also on ebay.
: :
: : It is currently $485.
: :
: : 4 days remaining on the bidding.

: Neither weapons are THE guns used (I thought you meant these were the actual prop guns by your posting), as the Webley listed on eBay is a .455 British, and the movie version was the .45 ACP conversion. The Colt .45 is definately one the elders date wise of the Colt automatics, but again I sure wouldn't invest in one with no matching serial numbers on the parts, especially at $485, when you can buy one with matching numbers in MUCH better shape for only $500 at about any gun store in the US. Regards. Michaelson
---------------------------------
The fact that the Colt is a 1911 instead of a 1911A1 makes it a little more collectable, but the lack of matching numbers more that wipes out any collectability factor. The pistol is not worth more that $300 max, and then only as a "shooter". A good used Colt 1911A1 can be found for around $400 at gun shows or pawn shops. If it doesn't have to be a "Colt" made 1911A1 (production was contracted to other companies by the US Gov't), then your choice of company will determine the price you pay. My personal 1911A1 is a Chinese copy (Norinco) with replacement walnut grips, a fitted barrel bushing, and a nylon recoil spring stop. It is an exact copy of the Colt, the parts interchange, it shoots GREAT, and the price was only $325 before modifications. But value-wise, the Smith & Wesson from Raiders is probably the most cost effective.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]