Re: Willis and Geiger catalog no. 25 is a keeper....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on February 06, 1999 at 15:51:56:

In Reply to: Re: Willis and Geiger catalog no. 25 is a keeper.... posted by Anejo Joe on February 05, 1999 at 23:49:32:

: : For those folks who are aware of the Willis & Geiger company, their new catalog, no. 25, is well worth looking over this round. For those folks who haven't heard of them, they are one of the oldest REAL outfitters of adventurers, archeologists, explorers, and world travelers, and still in existence in Wisconsin. They were the original outfitters of Teddy Roosevelt, Adm. Byrd, creator's of the original A-2 flight jacket (still in their production line), and continue to only provide products that are created for the need, not the price. It is literally a company that you'll get what you pay for. Now why is this one a keeper? Their catalog usually has several brief histories scattered throughout their book, along with their own war stories on how they had a hand in outfitting some of these histories. This one has a brief history of the Pan Am Clipper trans-Pacific airline service, as seen at the beginning of Raiders, and how that company got started in this kind of service in the mid 1930's. Lucas got that one right too, as Raiders takes place in 1936, and the first clipper began service on November 23, 1935. W & G has great gear, and better yet, they are actually CUTTING PRICES in this catalog, making their gear reachable to just about all of us now. Granted, this is not aimed toward to hard core, if it ain't true Indy I ain't buying it crowd. But if you want to see and possibly get hold of the gear that was made for the folks and by the folks who outfitted the real explorers and archeologists of those days, this is the one. Their phone number is 1-800-223-1408. They are on Central time, so put that in your equation for calling for the catalog. Remember to aske for No. 25 catalog. It's an enjoyable read either way. No, I don't get any kick backs for this endorcement. I haven't been able of afford anything they have either. With this new catalog and sale, maybe this time...... Regards. Michaelson

: -------------------------------------

: I am a fan of Wilis & Geiger, and I have a number of things I have ordered from them. Their clothes are absoultely top quality. I saw the balloon cloth shirt back in their line. It may be close to the Indy shirt in style (not an exact dopy by any means, but close). I agree, this catalog is definitely a "keeper". And speaking of the PAn Am Clipper, I just saw a show on TLC, or The History Channel, about them. The price of a ticket in those days was $800! You could have bought a new car for that in the 1930's.

Complete with white wall tires! I wasn't aware of the ticket price, but had read it was definately for the elite. The later Clippers had individual bedrooms and shower baths. Man, have things changed in air travel. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]