Re: YIJC

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Loren from correl1.hp.com on February 09, 1999 at 09:25:12:

In Reply to: Re: YIJC posted by Michaelson on February 07, 1999 at 11:36:13:

:: I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but ABC pulled the series because they deemed it too violent, when in reality, it
was just too sophisticated for popcorn viewers. The series is a masterpiece, and the reason it panned was
because of the people who wouldn't give it a chance. Lucas' intention was to educate young viewers while
entertaining them via a famous character. Thus, the weekly 'history lesson'. He eventually wanted to expand it as
an educational tool on CD-ROM for classroom use. I don't know if that will happen now. He did, in fact, begin
to develop 2-hour adventure style Indy movies for the audience who didn't like the meatier episodes. But, alas it
was too late.

:: --nitzsche

:And isn't this a sad fact too? Not necessarily the pulling of the series, but the reasoning. Everything shown was a
pale reflection, though VERY well done, of historical facts. War, poverty, espionage, etc. In the media's zeal for
the practice of revisionist history, they throw the baby out with the bath water. Unless we learn from past
"mistakes", we will be for ever doomed to repeat them. Their practice to sugar coat, or eliminate from view the
path we've taken to get here will sooner or later catch up with us. I think Lucas was doing a great service
teaching with the best tool he had at hand. It's a real shame what idiots there are out heading up the broadcast
world. Regards. Michaelson

ABC pulled the series because of low ratings. This is why they did not show 4 of the episodes. In the U.K. one
of the episodes was deemed to violent for the family hour so was shown at a later time. ABC asked for an increase
in action which is why the later episodes had more of the older YIJ than the younger.

Loren

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]