Lights, Camera, . . .you know the rest!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HANNIBAL KING from ausfire.austin.ppdi.com on February 09, 1999 at 09:43:35:

Hey there,
Well I didn't get an avalanche of negative answers to yesterday's post - so I'll assume that nobody minds reading about the production of "Hannibal King and the Eye of the Gods". I'll give you a little background information first.
In 1982 my friends and I got together and made a short science fiction movie called "The Visitors". I acted in it and was basically smitten with the whole film making process. I started having ideas for my own production - a comedy horror film called "Captain Kronic and the Bloodbath Massacre of the Beast With the Hairy Armpits!" - I was fifteen, I have no defense apart from that. However, I soon realised how crap this concept was and from there I decided to emulate the Indy movies. In 1984 I released "Trail of the Bloodstained God". Since then there have been a further three Hannibal King adventures - "Hannibal King and the Harbingers of Doom", "Hannibal King and the Atlantean Chronicles" and "Hannibal King and the Legacy of Death". These have dealt with Arthurian mythology, Sumerian Mythology, the Atlantis myth, and Norse mythology. Now it's the Egyptians turn with "Hannibal King and the Eye of the Gods".

A LIST OF RECURRING CHARACTERS IN THE HANNIBAL KING SAGA:-

Hannibal King - an adventurer and soldier of fortune (unlike Indy, Hannibal is not an archaeologist, just an ex soldier who works for an archaeologist)
Dr Wilfred Summers - the curator of "The Travene Institute of History and Science". Hannibal's best friend and employer.
"Juggernaut" McKenzie - An Australian mercenary, once Hannibal's friend - now his sworn enemy.
Sloane - A suave, and ruthless enigmatic villain. No-one knows his history or even his first name.

NON RECURRING CHARACTERS WHO APPEAR IN "THE EYE OF THE GODS"

Natasha Radichenko - a young Russian who has come into the ownership of a journal written by her great grandfather in 1917.
Dr. Valentin Golgotha - a Russian anthropologist who works for a mysterious organisation called "The Red Leviathan"
Cassandra Golgotha - his psychotic wife.
Farouk Ali Jabbah - an Egyptian crimelord and sorceror.

Last night we all descended upon a local theatre in the town where I stay. There was myself, Richard (Sloane), Tracey (Natasha), John (my director of photography) and two mates who were going to play masked thugs (Derek and Davie). We set up the lighting equipment and dressed the theatre, this involved French exit signs and no smoking signs, and a chess board.

Sloane has kidnapped Natasha and taken her to an old theatre in Paris. Here he has tied her up to a bench underneath a razor sharp sword that is suspended by a slowly smouldering rope. Hannibal arrives and is forced to play Sloane at chess in order to rescue Natasha. I had decided to film the chess sequence first. Now, the biggest problem with this was that neither Richard or I had played chess in years and we couldn't quite remember how the board was set up. Eventually we remembered where the one with the cross on top went compared to the one that looks a bit like a pie cutter. Then, of course, we couldn't quite remember how the pieces moved. Tracey sat to one side, smiling sweetly "I think the horsie moves in an L shape" she told us (tongue firmly in cheek). We filmed out of sequence (the whole chess game is going to be intercut with inserts of Natasha in peril). However, if anybody who actually has an inkling about the whole game of chess decides to watch the game too closely then they're going to be horrified. However, we eventually finished the game and moved onto the second part of the scene.
Tracey was tied down to a wooden bench and a sword was hung above her. This took quite a bit of persuasion on my part . . ."C'mon Tracey, the sword's not sharp! You'll be fine!"
After the chess game, Hannibal wins and in a brief confrontation sequence he holds a gun to Sloane's face. The villain tells him where Natasha is and that he only has a few seconds to save her. Hannibal rushes off and finds Natasha bound and gagged on the stage. He's about to save her when two of Sloane's thugs attack him. Now, I don't know what it is about replica guns, black clothes and ski masks - but they turn the meekest of individuals into lunatics! During the fight sequence, Derek (who on occasion plays Juggernaut McKenzie and usually choreographs the action sequences) started using all of this Tae Kwon Do stuff on me. Sometimes he forgets that I'm 32 soon and too old to be getting kicked in the chest. I swear to whoever you hold holy, I went home last night with Nike Air imprinted onto my chest. However, we managed to film a fight sequence without too much lasting damage to my person. It was hot though. I was wearing a black dinner suit and was sweating like a . . . well, like a thirty one year old who was getting his ass kicked by his big martial arts using pal. Anyway - we film the rescue of Natasha and for the big money shot - as I pull her from the bench the sword falls into it. Great! It worked a treat - I grab Tracey and we both roll off of the bench and Derek lets the rope go. The sword plunges down! And John, my cameraman says "Erm . . . we ran out of film on that last one!" Doh! So we had to film it again - this time the sword (it's not too sharp Tracey I promise) plunges into the bench and splits the f****r open. Tracey looks at me and I try a roguish smile (but I'm no Harrison Ford and it doesn't quite work).
However, by the time I get Tracey home she's cooled down and it's here I broach the subject! I've managed to arrange for a local micro light air club to film a sequence where one of the planes buzz us. She agrees . . . reluctantly and another succesful day's filming has been completed.

Seeya Hannibal

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]