The problem with abbreviations.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Satipo from webcache21b.cache.pol.co.uk on February 09, 1999 at 12:57:11:

In Reply to: Re: Warmed over Regards Stupid!!NM????????? posted by Groo on February 09, 1999 at 05:14:40:

: !!-This is an exclamation point, it is used to express feeling and a sense of urgency in a sentance.
: NM-This is an achronym that means No Message has been posted, only the title has any meaning.
: Shine the light on this poor new-comer Regards,
: Groo
: P.S. When I first started surfing, for the longest time I couldn't figure out what LOL meant.(It means Laugh Out Loud in case you didn't know yet.)

Thanks for the explanation. I already understand the meaning of an exclamation mark and its correct usage in a sentence (note the correct spelling!), but thank you anyway. I would suggest, however, that "NM" is more of an abbreviation than an acronym (note the correct spelling!) as acronyms are usually words.

I must say its an interesting idea to use abbreviations. It sort of reminds me of the codes used in CB language (hey, "CB" is another abbreviation!). But is there an established list that you use? If there is, where can I access it?

The problem with abbreviations is that anyone can make them up, but unless there is an established list to refer to, individuals will assume their own meanings (if they can be bothered, that is), leaving the abbreviation a bit pointless. In fact, many already have
meanings that have long been established. For example, "NM" has meanings such as "national marketing", "nautical mile", and "nuclear medicine". If I were to say to you, "PO", you could take me to mean either "parcels office", "parole officer", "par ordre", "Passport Office", "Patent Office", "personnel officer", or "petty officer", as well as many other things. The context it is used in might provide a clue to its intended meaning, but without an established list to refer to or an explanation from the writer of the message, could you ever be sure your interpretation is correct?

Bringing education to the masses,

Satipo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: