Re: Leather strap for "The bag"

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anejo Joe from 51.greenville-05-10rs.sc.dial-access.att.net on February 09, 1999 at 19:16:16:

In Reply to: Re: Leather strap for "The bag" posted by Greg on February 09, 1999 at 16:48:05:

: : I went to a place to get my bag fitted with a strap. This choice turned out to be a fiasco (sp?). The guy told me he could do it. I thought it would only take him a day or two. Well, turns out it ended up taking nearly four weeks. Not only that, but he wanted to charge me $25! I figure he was going to give me a discount because he was taking longer than he said he was. Anyway, I went back there today, and he finally had "the strap" in. Except, it was totally unflexable. It was horrible, actually. ANyway, he said that he could use two different types of leather, "belt leather" which was what he got, and "purse leather" (you know, like the straps for purses). I'm not sure, but I don't think indy's strap was either one. I'm looking for some help on this one. Should I go with the purse leather?? Or, perhaps someone who has already gotten one can help me out. Perhaps they can get another one made, and I could send them the money. Let me know. :-)

: : Hoping that this SUCKY situation doesn't make your day SUCK,
: : b"ij"b

: Depending on the thickness, belting leather might not be bad, as long as it is 1/8 of an inch or less. However, my bag strap is made from latigo leather-it has a rough, unfinished side (on the side facing the body when the bag is worn). It is less expensive than belting leather . I'm currently trying to find a new supplier of the latigo for a few more bags I have. Money is my big holdup right now.

: Greg
------------------------------------
If you have a Tandy Leather store near you, they can supply you with any leather you need. I used two wine colored latigo leather strips, I believe they were 60" lengths and 1" wide. I am wasteful with leather. They also had other leather strips, but they needed to be dyed and I was in a hurry. I punched holes in the leather and attached it with screw-type fittings. One strap was enough, if I didn't use a buckle. At first I didn't. But I changed my mind and cut the leather, used a second strip, and added a buckle. All I had to do was punch holes in leather. I already had the die, again from Tandy Leather. I am not satisfied with the color, and will probably get some natural leather and dye it. This is easy to do, and the people at Tandy Leather will show you how to do it. Of course, if there is not a Tandy Leather in your area, then you will have to find a similar store.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]