Re: You know what scares me? Believing what your read without checking the source!!!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Professor Jones from pm1-27.dial.qual.net on February 10, 1999 at 19:58:46:

In Reply to: Re: You know what scares me? posted by LFM on February 10, 1999 at 18:12:45:

: : Quite a few things actually. To begin with, I'm asssuming the Telewhatsits are kids' icons, right? If so, then I am deeply concerned for some of the high school girls I've seen down here (Note: I am not singling anyone out here in the Forum, but I am saying I have seen some girls at my school who are head over heels for them). Secondly, one of those icons is gay. I have no problem against someone being gay, but I think that it's an issue that may be too mature for the TARGET audience. While the newsbreak is a good yuk, it scares me to see that some of the girls down here are so simply entertained. And our generation will be runnning this country in another two or three decades.

: : No offense to any one person intended here.

: : Oh yeah. I do concede that it would be wise to enlighten children about homosexuality before they can be influenced into prejudice against it.

: : Check six.

: : -Mithrandir-

: A lot of girls at my school, in my grade in fact (8th) are really big fans of the teletubbies. Personally I find it hard to believe that a teletubbie, especially the purple one, could be gay. My friend Jamie actually has the purple teletubbie doll. I feel sorry for her now. Not that I have anything against homosexuality, its just a bit weird to come up on a kids show. I haven't watched it but I know people who have. They'll find it so funny when they hear about it. Kinda scary just like you said Mith.

Fellow Indy fans... Be suspicious when you read or hear this kind of
news story; don't just take it on faith. The whole issue of this
teletubbie being gay was raised and promoted by Jerry Falwell... an
individual some would consider (probably himself as well) a right-wing,
Christian fanatic.

Beyond that, don't let your decisions be ruled by what others say
without further investigation of your own... consider what others
say with an open, yet critical mind, but think for yourself. Are
we to believe just because this children's character carries a purse,
it's gay? Using that logic, Indy would be considered "gay" by
Mr. Falwell!

Hold tightly to your personal values, but don't let them blind you
to reason or allow you to be swayed by some fast-talking public
figure trying to carry out their agenda.

Regards,
Professor Jones

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: