Re: Is the 10 foot model best suited for any particular tricks?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.Borton from piweba7y-ext.prodigy.com on February 13, 1999 at 12:02:16:

In Reply to: Is the 10 foot model best suited for any particular tricks? posted by Satipo on February 12, 1999 at 12:16:39:

: Thanks for the info. Do you mean that, although the 10 foot whip can do many tricks, it isn't best suited for any of them as it is an in between size? Also, if the whips are easily damaged by swinging on them, does this mean that the whole concept of swinging on whips is a Hollywood invention that has no historical basis? I'm just trying to gather the facts before I order a Morgan for myself.

: Many thanks,

: Satipo

A 10ft whip is fine for just about anything, it just take more skill to handle properly. I normally recommend that some one just starting out with the whip go with an 8ft whip as it is easier to learn from and is well suited for general use. I personally, have never come across any information that suggests whips were used for swinging, however Hollywood has used the idea for many years. Whether their information is based on some little known fact, or if they made it up, I can't say for sure. The kangaroo hide whips that David Moran makes, or any professional quality whip for that matter is a precision instrument. They are made the way they are for a reason, and anything that alters the design can compromise the whip's efficiency. When your taking about a $300 to $500 whip, that's a substantial investment that you probably don't want to damage by swinging on it. If you want a whip that can be used to swing on, look into decent quality "heavy" latigo bullwhip, preferably one with a strong rope core. They will hold up much better to the stress and possible damage caused by swinging on it. I still do not recommend it, but if you do, remember to take the proper safety precautions first. Hope this helps

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]