Re: Why is the HJ hat so different?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on February 13, 1999 at 12:28:52:

In Reply to: Why is the HJ hat so different? posted by Satipo on February 13, 1999 at 02:41:41:

: A lot of HJ hat owners are saying that the HJ is not the right height for the Raiders model. Also, the Petersham ribbon and the felt are the wrong colour. If this is so, why would HJ be making them so differently for customers when they are supposed to know the specifications of the hat which they originally designed and made? This sounds like uncharacteristically sloppy practice for such a distinguished hatter. Has Mr Swales lost the original specifications for Raiders, or did HJ simply replace them with the ones for the TOD and LC versions?

: Many thanks,

: Satipo

: P.S. Is the brim of the HJ the right cut?

Well, bear in mind you're wanting to have a hat re-created from one they produced 18 years ago. The original felt is no longer available, nor is the original ribbon. HJ, though producing by order the Raiders hat, isn't at all like Peter Botwright who wants our business. HJ is a very high class hat maker for high society in London. From reports we've read, as well as private discussions I've had with HJ fedora owner off line, most of the folks at HJ aren't really interested in producing the fedora for the Indy market. I've read two eye witness reports from friends who have dealt directly with them that state almost Jeckle/Hyde results with clerks in the store, one who absolutely bubbled with stories regarding the hat (maybe because my friend was shooting video of the place for broadcast), while the other reported experience was with a clerk who pretty much said he wish we'd just all go away and leave them alone. So you have two situations here, lack of availability of the original materials, and at least in some aspects total indifference from some of the proprieters to "get it right" when recreating the fedora for our wants. Hate to be so negative, but that's about the bottom line after poring over all the past messages and emails I've had over the past two years. I was thinking about jumping in and ordering one too, but after seeing the indifference of the production of the model, I'd be scared to death to see how they'd take care of me, being in the US, in terms of any after sale support. I'll stick with the Hatworks rework products. They have suited me and my needs to a tee. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]