swivel handled

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D.Borton from piweba7y-ext.prodigy.com on February 13, 1999 at 22:34:44:

In Reply to: What is a swivel handled whip? posted by BMan on February 13, 1999 at 14:09:25:

: While we're sort of discussing beginner whips, I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me.

: In the Mark Allen catalog (just got mine yesterday) the American bullwhips are all listed as swivel handled, while none of the Australian whips are.

: What's the difference? I was going to buy one of the American style to try my hand at learning the whip, without breaking my wallet, but I'm curious as to the reason behind the handle styles.

: Many thanks in advance.

: BMan

The "swivel handle whip" means that the handle assembly rotates separately from the plaited body of the whip. The most common type of swivel handle is built by fitting a wooden or steel pipe handle over a steel bar, which is anchored up inside the whip. When you swing the whip, the handle will stay while the whip itself can rotate freely. The Australian bullwhips Mark Allen offers are constructed with a fixed handle, in that its attached into position and then plaited over as part of the whip. These style handles do not swivel. There are some minor differences in the two handles regarding how it effects the whip's performance. Basically though the swivel handle works well with the swing and cut back throw like the over head crack, but the fixed handle offers you better control of the whip. These days it is pretty much about personal preference, as every different style bullwhip will handle a little differently. The principles of the cracking techniques are the same though. Hope this helps.

Dan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]