Re: Is the HJ the Raiders hat or not?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg from kenn011-62.cyberTours.com on February 15, 1999 at 06:30:28:

In Reply to: Is the HJ the Raiders hat or not? posted by Satipo on February 12, 1999 at 11:59:38:

: : : I read in the vaults that the HJ fedora doesn't come with the Petersham ribbon anymore, but a polyester grosgrain instead. Does anybody know if this is still the case?

: : : Adios,

: : : Satipo

: : You should be able to get the right ribbon now-Mr. Swales had a company in Spain reproduce it from a small scrap he had left.

: : Greg

:
: Thanks for the info. I also read that the HJ's crown is not the same height as the one in Raiders, and that the contrast between the ribbon and the felt is not as great as the hat in the film. Do you know if either of these statements are true? I'm thinking of purchasing an HJ soon, so I'm trying to determine if it is a close match to the one in Raiders.

: Many thanks,

: Satipo

I never heard that the Raider's hat was any taller than the LC hat-it is simply shaped differently. If you mis-shape the brim as was done in Raiders and put a very far-forward pinch in the front of the hat, it will have a taller appearance than the LC style. My second HJ hat is 4 3/4 inches tall at the front, and as I look at what 6 inches above the brim looks like, it would be ridiculous. I don't know where others got this information, but it doesn't sound right to me. If you ask HJ to send it to you with the Raiders crease, they will do so. If you don't request one way or the other, they will send you the more traditional LC style crease. The only difference in the hats that I can discern is the ribbon may have been different. The Raiders hat seems to have a bound-edge ribbon, whereas the LC hat seems to have the raw edge ribbon.

Greg

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]