Re: Good point.

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Satipo from webcache21b.cache.pol.co.uk on February 16, 1999 at 00:16:15:

In Reply to: Re: Good point. posted by nitzsche on February 15, 1999 at 17:37:20:

: : :
: : : Hey Satipo,
: : : If you live in London, why don't you simply motor yourself over to their location and find out yourself, instead of asking us for info?
: : : Just curious Regards,
: : : Groo

: :
: : I know it sounds crazy, but let me tell you a story and then perhaps you'll understand why I'm testing the water first.

: : I think I might have visited HJ's about nine years ago. I can't be sure as I don't remember the shop's name or address. I was looking for an Indy fedora, but I didn't know who had originally made the hat. There aren't many hatters in London who make good quality traditional hats for men, but a friend of mine had recommended this particular shop. From the outside, the shop was small and old fashioned looking. Its window displayed many traditional hats, some of which were named after film stars such as 'The Bogart'. My experience inside the shop wasn't particularly pleasant. The service at first appeared superb. I was served by a balding middle-aged man dressed like a butler, who constantly addressed me as 'Sir' even though I was only eighteen at the time. However, I began to feel that the atmosphere was very snobby, and that I wasn't being taken very seriously. Call me paranoid, but I felt like the butler man was constantly thinking, 'you can't afford these hats,' and, 'our hats are not for the likes of you.' I said that I wanted a brown fedora. I didn't ask for an Indy hat as I sensed the risk of humiliation at such a request - it didn't sound traditional enough to me, unlike if I'd requested 'The Bogart', for instance. I suppose my ignorance of hat making must have shown when the butler man brought one out that resembled a bowler hat with a big wide brim, prompting me to question its appearance. The response was, 'No sir, we shape the bell after we fit you,' spoken in a sneering tone. When I asked what the cost would be, he looked at me as though I'd just spat on his mother's grave. I remember it was about 90 pounds, which was far too expensive for me back then. My face must have displayed this fact, as another customer, a wealthy looking business man with a well fed stomach, observed sympathetically, 'yes, they are rather expensive here aren't they?' Although I doubt the man had intended it, his comment caused me to suddenly feel very embarrassed. I felt totally out of my depth and my face was as hot as the sun. Knowing I had to leave there and then, I made some feeble excuse about having to do something else first, but I would call back later. I never did. Instead I managed to find a small Jewish hat shop which sold a fedora for 30 pounds. However, they couldn't match my hat size exactly, so my fedora has always been a little on the tight side (at the time I thought it was better to go for tight rather than loose).
: :
: : I've yet to ask the friend who originally recommended the unpleasant shop, if he remembers what it was called, but I've got a strong feeling it was HJ. Anyway, the experience left me a little scarred, so I thought I'd see what other people thought about the HJ hat in order for me to determine whether it was worth going back there and possibly enduring a similar experience (if it is the same shop, that is). I know it sounds a bit pathetic, but its funny how some experiences can affect you.

: : I hope this explains my caution,

: : Satipo

:
: Satipo, I don't know if you intended this, but that story was hilarious! I have had similar experiences with hat shops in general. Not to laugh at your expense, mind you, I just liked your delivery of the story, as well as the comical undertone! Good job and good luck with your quest for the perfect hat! Don't settle for less!

: --nitzsche

Thanks for the compliment and encouragement, nitzsche. I think that whenever you look back on occasions such as this, you tend to see the funny side. Besides, if I didn't occasionally laugh at my own misfortune, I'd spend my whole life frowning.

Adios,

Satipo

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: