Chapter 4 - IJ and the Heart of Shiva

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by walker from 38.152.176.170 on February 18, 1999 at 09:54:52:

Chapter 4 by walker

Indy pulled into the long drive of Cianelli's palatial estate and parked at the steps before the front door. A valet promptly ran forward, took his keys and moved the car around to a garage east of the house. As Indy reached for the bell, the door swung open, pulled by a rather portly butler.

"Where's Cianelli?" Indy asked, striding into the foyer.

"Follow me, if you please, sir." The butler ascended a long flight of stairs and led Indy into a large, comfortable parlor. Within were several antique chairs, a couch, some display cabinets, a piano and a bar. "Make yourself comfortable, sir," the butler offered, exiting the room and closing the door behind him.

Indy paced the room impatiently - he didn't like to be kept waiting. He moved to the bar in the corner and poured a tall shot of Talisker into a glass. He turned, rolling the smokey, bitter whisky over his tongue as the door across from him opened.

Cianelli walked in confidently, smiling like a new father. "Dr. Jones, I am so pleased you've changed your mind," he said, grasping Indy warmly by the shoulders.

"I haven't agreed to anything yet," Indy said. "I want details."

"And you shall have them. Please, sit." The Italian reclined in a deep, heavily padded 17th century antique chair and motioned for Indy to make himself at home. Indy complied, leaning forward in his seat.

"I don't like to waste time Mr. Cianelli. Is there a short version of this story you can use to convince me."

"Why yes, I think I can manage that," Cianelli answered agreeably. He reached over to a nearby marble pedestal and tapped a tiny chime twice. The butler immediately entered the room.

"Yes sir?"

"Collins, show in our other guest."

"Very good sir." Collins bowed slightly and backed out of the room. When the door had closed, Cianelli continued.

"While we're waiting for my other guest to arrive, let me give you some background on what I know." Indy nodded him on. "The Heart of Shiva, as I'm sure you know, was believed stolen by demons centuries ago, and hidden at the gates to the underworld in Tibet."

"Yes, essentially that's it. By one demon in particular, however," Indy corrected.

"Certainly. I mispoke. Raktabija was the demon's name, yes?"

"That's right."

Cianelli smiled. "Recently, one of my antiquities collectors travelling India heard rumor of a new cave network discovered at the base of a mountian in the Tibetan foothills. Other stories detailed this as a treasure trove of artifacts gathered from a variety of nearby countries, China, Russia, India and others."

Indy stood. "Buried treasure rumors are for suckers. Who in they're right mind would go to the trouble of hauling treasure hundreds of miles simply to bury it somewhere in the Himalayas. This needs to get substantial real quick or the only thing we'll have common is the scotch on your bar."

Cianelli put up his hands and waved Indy back to his chair. "I understand. Let's skip right to it then, shall we? My field agent followed up on these rumors and actually made the trip to Tibet. Here is a copy of the last wire I received from him. It was made about 3 weeks ago." Cianelli handed Indy a yellow slip of paper. It read:

LOCATION OF CAVES CONFIRMED STOP FOUND WITNESS TO SITE STOP PRIEST WHO SAYS BLUE STONE DWARFS ALL STOP BELIEVES HEART OF SHIVA STOP AM PROCEEDING WITH INVESTIGATION STOP DANGEROUS MEN FOLLOWING STOP PLEASE ADVISE STOP

Cianelli looked up as Indy finished reading. "We sent instructions that he should be cautious, of course, but we never heard from him again."

"Tibet's a dangerous place," Indy said.

"True. Last week, however, I received this through the post." He handed Indy a newspaper clipping. It was from a small British news service, based in Bombay, India. "Please, read the caption."

Indy took the piece, unfolded it and read. His jaw dropped. The caption read

"Local Indian businessman makes strides into international exploration. The prize? A rumored Tibetan treasure house worth milliions. For more, see page 6."

It wasn't the caption that made Indy's breath catch in his throat, however. It was the photo and the uncanny coincidence it represented. The picture's subject was older, grayer - even a bit feeble looking, but there was no mistaking the tall, lanky form and the bullet head.

Cianelli's competitor was Imran Roshann.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]