Re: Settle a bet

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lt Michael Urbano (former 101st Pathfinder) from slb-proxy-01.boeing.com on February 19, 1999 at 05:51:38:

In Reply to: Re: Settle a bet posted by Major Paul on August 16, 1998 at 00:24:11:

To anyone who can answer this question:

: : Was Ted Danson's characters rank a Captain or Lt. of the 101st. Pathfinders?

: : Thanks,

: : CR

: : OK, I know that Micah will pull the plug on this if it goes too long because your question is not Indy related (unless you count the fact that Speilberg directed both). But since I am an Army officer, I couldn't resist answering... Danson plays CPT Hamill of the 101st Airborne Division. (There has never been such a thing as a "pathfinder division".) However, he has been trained as a pathfinder, an additional skill. There were platoons of pathfinders in all the airborne divisions. Their jobs were to parachute in early before the main assault, conduct reconnaissance and ensure the proposed parachute drop zones or glider landing zones were still viable. There still is a Pathfinder school today at Fort Benning, Georgia.

As a former 101st Pathfinder (1982-1987), I was surprised to see how acurate the movie really was. The very first American into the d-day invation was a captain from the 101st Pathfinder platoon. This I remember from the museum at FT Campbell. I ended up leaving the 101st and becoming a pathfinder for 5th Special forces group when the group moved to Campbell from Bragg, but to this day I still wear my 101st Pathfinder ring. Please e-mail me in response, I am curious why you inquire this subject. Michael

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]