Re: Which is the correct Mk-VII bag?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Jones Fan from excelsior-347.fuse.net on February 19, 1999 at 15:01:27:

In Reply to: Which is the correct Mk-VII bag? posted by Abner on February 19, 1999 at 11:03:19:

: Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated...I'm trying to decide which bag to alter, as I have found at least two variations.

: As you may know, during WWII lots of different companies were contracted by governments to produce uniforms and equipment. I have found at least two different styles of the Mark VII Gas Mask Bag:

: One is by W&G LTD and is dated 1943 (I have seen the same exact bag dated 1942 as well). It is olive/brown with smoth brass snaps. I think this is a more common brand, and I thought it was the only style until I found another.

: The other is by W.E. & S. LTD dated 1942. This style seems to be of better quality as it is made of a thicker canvas and the stitching is nicer. It also has different brass snaps with a textured pattern on them as opposed to the smoooth face snaps. It is a shade lighter olive. If anyone knows more about this your advice will be welcomed.

: Thanks,
: Abner

I also have both of those bag variations. As a reference I used a Temple of Doom poster put out by Procter and Gamble Distributing Company which shows a great shot of Indy with the bag. On this particular picture of the bag it looks to have the smooth snaps. So, for Temple of Doom at least, I would have to go with the W&G LTD.

Hope this helps, Indy Jones Fan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]