Re: Colour of satchel strap

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12_686.utsi.edu on March 09, 1998 at 16:22:22:

In Reply to: Re: Colour of satchel strap posted by Dale Dassel on March 09, 1998 at 13:21:13:

: : : : : : : :
: : : : : : : : I really really need some help from any fellow Indiana Jones
: : : : : : : : fan. By any chance does anyone know what kind of leather strap was
: : : : : : : : used on the Mark-VII satchel? I would like to get one just like it,
: : : : : : : : or as close as possible. Have any of you talked to Burmans and Nathan
: : : : : : : : in London concerning this? I really need to know, because I have my
: : : : : : : : satchel coming in the mail in a few days.

: : -Dale

: : : : : : : It is known that Indy's out fit varies just slightly
: in each movie, particularly the crease of the hat, the shade of the
: bullwhip, and the color of the satchel strap. According to Raiders
: pictures from my scriptbook and storybook, the strap is, indeed, a
: dark brown color, which is a little lighter than the jacket, but some
: darker pictures from Raiders, such as the well of souls, and the
: Peruvian temple, would make the strap appear to be black, because of
: lack of light. I, personally, am going for the original Raiders look,
: like the jacket lining, satchel strap color, and the Raiders crease,
: which I will request when I order my hat from London. It's just my
: personal preference to have a stock original outfit, because that is
: how the world first saw Indiana Jones. Throughout the trilogy, the
: differences in the out fit are so minute that the average moviegoer
: wouldn't notice them, unless they know what to look for.

: -Dale
: : : : : Michaelson, could you do me a big favor? I don't have a shop like that where I live.
: : : : : If you could have that guy manufacture another one of those straps for me, I will send you a
: : : : : check in the mail for it. Name your price. I would really appreciate this.

: : : : : Sincerely,

: : : : : Dale Dassel
: : : : : : : On a further note, I spoke to the man who works at Sentimental
: : : : : : : Journey, and the old bloke was terribly unable to help me. I mistakenly
: : : : : : : referred to him as "the official supplier for the movies." to which
: : : : : : : he said, "Excuse me? I have NEVER been the official supplier to any
: : : : : : : movie or any film." Then he went on to fill in my questions about
: : : : : : : the battle of Somme, and his pet phrase: The Mind of Man is Bounded
: : : : : : : by the Universe. "They were two years in the making and ten minutes
: : : : : : : in the destroying" Somme, 1st July 1916. So, can any of you guys help
: : : : : : : with info on the satchel strap. Look, I'll go out and buy a purse if I
: : : : : : : have to just to het an adjustable strap. I swear!!! :)

: : : : : : : -Dale

: : : : : : Dale, do you have a shoe repair shop in your area? You'll find that most shoe repairman are old hands at this thing, and have the equipment to make exactly what you need. I have one in my town who has made and exact duplicate of the strap and attached it to my Mark VII bag after just seeing a picture of it in one of my books. Only charged me 3 bucks, buckle and all. Check close to home. You probably have an expert right there in your backyard. I did. Regards. Michaelson

: : : : Dale: No need to be to desparate! email me. We'll see if I can get you taken care of. I had something on my computer that looked like your header, but the message was scrambled. (@#$%@ University equipment!) Try again. I'll be glad to try and help. Regards. Michaelson

: : : Hi

: : : What colour is the satchel strap?. In stills I have from Raiders it looks dark brown (slightly lighter than the jacket) but in stills from Temple of Doom (rope bridge sequence) it looks like black leather.

: : : Cheers

: : Good question. I was looking through all the pictures I have this weekend, and it appears to be a faded black to me. That's how I had mine made, but Dale's will be dark brown, as appears against the coat. In all color photos I have and have seen, there is definately a contrast difference between the coat and the strap, and the strap appears darker. Distressed black leather? Regards. Michaelson

I've posted once, but apparently it didn't "take". I guess it depends what source you're looking at. I have several sources, including a 3 foot full color poster of Indy in the Raiders whip fight from the basket chase, the strap is black, and shot in direct sunlight! Go figure! Only the installers probably know for sure. True, regarding the hat. One scene from T of D has his hat change shape and size from one shot to the next! Definately shot at a different time, and with different hats. You just do what you're comfortable with. Regards. Michaelson. p.s. If this is a repeat posting, please pardon. My first didn't appear after 30 minutes on this PC.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]