IJ & the HEART of SHIVA - CHAPTER FIVE

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by HANNIBAL KING from pFCs02a02.client.global.net.uk on February 20, 1999 at 04:04:44:

"Dr Jones, you have betrayed my trust and my friendship!"

As soon as Indy saw the picture of Roshann these portentous words echoed through his head. He gazed into the black and white photographs eyes. Dead eyes. Eyes like a sharks. The last conversation he had ever had with Roshann had been laoded with tension and threats.

"Dr Jones? What is wrong?" Cianelli's voice cut through his reverie. Indy looked at his potential partner with a puzzled expression. He stole one last glance at the photograph and quickly folded the paper up.
"You look as though you have seen a ghost!" the Italian smiled.
"Not a ghost Cianelli! Something worse than a ghost!" Indy drained his glass and set it down onto a glass table. He was aware of Cianelli looking at him.
"I know Roshann. I haven't seen him in years, in fact I had thought he might be dead! Looks like I was wrong!"
"From what I can gather from my associates in Asia, Imran Roshann is a dangerous man! It is unfortunate that he is our competitor in this race!" Cianelli spoke in an offhanded manner which anoyed Indy. This Italian was showing an arrogance that was likely to get them both killed.
"Cianelli, Imran Roshann is like a shadow of death over the entire Indian sub continent! He is like a disease infesting the whole of East Asia. He has fingers in more pies than you or I can imagine. I don't know how far his power extends now, but the last time I saw him he was an incredibly powerful man!"
"I have my contacts to Dr Jones!"
"Yeah, I'll bet you do!" Indy snapped sarcastically. Cianelli's expression showed that he was not pleased by this comment. Indy regreted losing his cool - not because he had stung Cianelli, but because this photograph had shaken him up more than he would ever had imagined.
"Cianelli, I last saw Roshann ten years ago! He swore then to kill me!"

"Roshann, you and I were never friends!" Indy looked at the Indian crimelord steadily.
"You accepted my friendship when I saved your life Jones! How fickle you westerners can be!" Roshann sat down onto his collection of satin cushions and put the opium pipe into his mouth. Indy stood before him. Wishing that he had his gun with him, beside him Sophie Hapgood stood. She was tensing up, readying herself for a fight. This was the last thing that Indy wanted - he knew that to start a fight with Roshann would only end up with both their corpses rotting at the bottom of the Ganges!
"You made a promise to me Indiana Jones! A promise that you broke the day you and this woman started looking for the lost covenants of Buddha!"
"What promise Indy?" Sophie interjected.
"It doesn't matter Sophie!" Indy smiled at her.
"Doesn't matter? DOESN'T MATTER!!!" Roshann exploded "You are a worthless pig! You make promises when it suits you and discard them with equal ease! You vowed never to enter India or any of it's neighbouring countries on an archaeological hunt without informing me first! Yet, you parade all over my territory without even bothering to hide your blatant disregard of my wishes!"
"Imran . . . I made that promise a long time ago. Things have happened since then!"
"Yes, I know all about your exploits in Egypt! I chose to ignore your transgression in Tibet. I hate those Nazi bastards almost as much as you! It would have been unwise for them to gain possession of the Ark of the Covenant! I do not want or need the whole of my world being overrun by those unimaginative idiots! However, you have angered me greatly Jones!"
"Imran! I didn't think that you would be interested in the covenants! I mean you're not a Buddhist . . ."
"Neither are you Jones! I will allow you passage through Bombay for the next two days! However, I promise you this! The next time we meet blood will be spilt, and one of us will die!" Roshann looked at Indy, a hint of sadness creeping across his face "I make this promise with a heavy heart Indiana. My daughter only lives because of you! However, the promise has been made and I do not make them lightly!"

"So you see Cianelli, Roshann wants me dead!" Indy looked at his Italian financer and partner.
"Then we will just have to ensure that he does not get the opportunity to carry out his promise won't we Jones?"
A door behind Indy opened and a familiar voice caried across the room.
"Well, well, well Indiana Jones! This is an unexpected surprise!"

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]