Superstitious Hocus-Pocus

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BMan from ppp2a-30.ruralnet.net on February 20, 1999 at 13:26:20:

In Reply to: What religion is Indiana Jones? (no message) posted by Seamus on February 20, 1999 at 06:38:18:

I think Indy was an atheist at the start of Raiders. However, he may have ended up as an agnostic, after seeing the power of the Ark.

Reference the conversation he and Marcus have as Indy is packing to go in search of the headpiece of Ra.

Marcus is concerned about the search for the Ark- he tells Indy it's like nothing he's ever gone after before.

Indy chides him for sounding like his mother. "I don't believe in magic, a lot of superstitious hocus-pocus," were Indy's words.

The words of an unbeliever, in my opinion. After seeing the Ark opened, I think he becomes a little more skeptical (who wouldn't), but I still don't think he is a believer by any theological definition of the word.

I think the story of the atheist turning to agnosticism is part of what put Raiders head and shoulders above mere action films. The character actually changes and develops during the course of the story.

My opinion only.

BMan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: