Re: Raiders question

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-38ld532.dialup.mindspring.com on February 22, 1999 at 10:54:23:

In Reply to: Re: Raiders question posted by Michaelson on February 22, 1999 at 10:12:35:

: : I can understand replacing a Colt with a Smith & Wesson, but replacing a Smith & Wesson with a Webley? Unless he was in a bind, and that was all he could find at the time. But after having owned a Colt 1911, I have to wonder. I guess the revolvers looked more "1930's" to Spielberg.

:
: AMEN TO THAT, BROTHER! I've been saying that post after post when this subject comes up. The Webley was the brainchild of the novel writers, who created the Last Crusade script. It continues to appear in book after book. In this last book by McCoy, it appears again, and .38 caliber for crying out loud!! Most anemic round ever created for a revolver. The Webley would be the LAST revolver I would have chosen to put in his holster. As progressive as Indy has been shown to be, why in the world set him back using a weapon from the late 19th Century that weighs a ton, and fires a hard to obtain round such as a .455? If it was a rebored .45 ACP, why the heck abandon the Colt 1911 (shown to be in his possession 2 years before in the Raiders story, 1936) that is much more efficient and fires the .45 ACP? This has been a pet peeve I've had since I saw the Webley appear in the third movie. Regards. Michaelson

Yes, the M1911 Colt .45 Auto was a pistol unsurpassed at the time! I have to agree the only reason to use a Webley was for the "look" of a revolver, which is more old-fashioned, less threatening, and implies that Indy didn't use his gun very often.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]