There will be more Indy comics when...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Hugh Fleming from netcachesyd1.ozemail.com.au on February 24, 1999 at 07:35:11:

In Reply to: Re: comics posted by walker on February 19, 1999 at 06:16:59:

: Yeah, unfortunately it's true, Dan Barry passed away early last year.
: And I don't think Dark Horse plans on doing any more Indy comics. I think they're letting the license expire. There were two other series planned - IJ and the Lost Horizon and IJ and the Dance of Death, as well as two series in the planning stages, one from Hugh Flemming, the other from Adam Hughes. None of these saw the light of day because Dark Horse didn't consider them financially worthwhile. This is what the trade journals report anyway.

: Maybe one of us fan writers should get together with a fan artist and do our own.
: walker

:
: : Isn't it about time Dark Horse got around to doing another Indiana Jones series!?

: : On a related note, I was told recently that Dan Barry, who wrote many of the DH IJ comics (including the Fate of Atlantis series), had passed away. I couldn't find any info on it so I'm looking for someone to confirm it or prove otherwise. So have at it.

: : Thanks!

Hi guys. I was in the area, thought I'd let you in on what happened with the Indy comic franchise. In a word, it was cancelled due to a lack of interest. Pure and simple. See,
the initial comic success for the Dark Horse Indy line happened just two years or so after LC, but as the years passed and with the assertion that the third movie was truly meant to be the "Last" Crusade, fan interest waned and
the comics just weren't matching the stellar sales performance of Fate of Atlantis. Sure, it seems like, coming here to chat, there are a billion Indy fans out there who want to see more comics but the fact is, the numbers weren't there and won't be there
again until Indy 4 bows. And petitions won't convince them either. You'll see more comics one day but not before a new film.

And there were only two Indy comics that were planned but not published, "IJ and the Lost Horizon" by my writer-friend Pete Ford and me and Adam Hughes' "IJ and the Jungle Queen." (at least that's what it was called when I last saw him a few years ago).

Hope that clears a few things up.

;) Hugh

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: