Re: The Webley in YIJC? Nope....The Colt, yep....

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Webley from odo.belgium.eu.net on February 25, 1999 at 11:33:37:

In Reply to: Re: The Webley in YIJC? Nope....The Colt, yep.... posted by Michaelson on February 24, 1999 at 16:41:22:

: : : : : : I'm almost sure that Indy used a Webley Mk6 when he was a soldier in the Belgian Army in East Africa. Take a good look at Indy's gun during the fight at the beginning of the "German East Africa 1916" YIJC Episode.
: : : : : : I have read that the Webley & Scott Mk6 gun was used during WW1. The gun became in use in 1915 so it's possible that Indy used it then and maybe fell in love with that gun.
: : : : : : -Webley-

: : : : : Nope, it was not a Webley as he was in the Belgium army and was therefore issued French armament and munitions. Revolver was a Nagant, or variant of the same design. Regards. Michaelson

: : : : Correct me if I am wrong, but in the script for Raiders, the only pistol Indy has is the Colt 1911 auto. The revolver appears only in the movie.

: : : You are correct. In the original pen and ink drawings, Indy is shown with the old Colt slabside hanging on his hip. As to Webley's question, I have been a gun collector, gunsmith, gun dealer and shooter for over 30 years. I've owned both the Mark VI and Mark IV versions, and have read extensively regarding both the Webley's and related WWI weapons. If you want to get into a discussion regarding the history of who had what during WWI related to the political "correctness" (I know Groo, "spare us!" and I will) it would take to much space. Lucas has always tried to as historically correct as he could regarding the YIJC's, since he wanted them to be used as educational tools in schools after they were aired. Placing a Webley in the hands of a Belgium soldier would be a correct as putting a Colt .45 ACP in the hands of a Russian during the Revolution of 1917. Anyway, I've seen to many close ups of the weapon young Indy carried, and it isn't a Webley, it's the French Nagant. Looks like the Webley, but it's a completely different loading, and a completely different weapon design, and that's ANOTHER long drawn out discussion. Regards. Michaelson

: : Okay, no further questions about the Webley. It's obvious that you are the genius here.
: : BTW: My great grandfather was a Belgian soldier during WWI, I have never met him because he died a few year before I came on the world. And my grandfather has been a fugitive for the German army for a year and later went too the Belgian resistance. My father is a looser compared with them! ;-)
: : -Webley-

: Genius? Not hardly. You just wandered into one of my areas of interest. As to your father, I'm sure you're just making a broad comparison between him and your grand parents. Being a father myself, I sure hope my girls don't think the same comparing my accomplishments to my forefathers wanderings. I'm positive that was not your intent here. Regards. Michaelson

About saying that my father is a looser is just a joke.
I admire him a lot!
-Webley-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: