Re: Marcus and Sallah were turned into bumbling idiots in The Last Crusade

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Jones Fan from crazyhorse-21.fuse.net on February 25, 1999 at 19:36:44:

In Reply to: Re: Marcus and Sallah were turned into bumbling idiots in The Last Crusade posted by Satipo on February 25, 1999 at 12:44:22:

: : In the first one, they were more serious, but by LC, Marcus was very clumsy. Sallah, was not as much, but he seems more silly, now. I wonder why.

:
: The reason for this is that as the Indy series went on, Lucas and Spielberg developed some inexplicable urge to transform it from a beautifully crafted parody of old adventure serials into a hideously heavy-handed parody of itself. Last Crusade and the characters in it are shallow caricatures of what we originally saw in Raiders. It should therefore be viewed with a pinch of salt.

: Adios,

: Satipo

I personally enjoy watching Last Crusade more than Raiders or TOD. Don't get me wrong, Raiders is a FANTASTIC movie and it without a doubt created a new genre of adventure films
but Lucas knew that Last Crusade could not be just a carbon copy of Raiders. He probably realized that TOD was way the mark and in an effort to get back to the Raiders roots and still have a completely new type
of film Lucas brought back the original characters and injected some humor. I like the combination of the Raiders type adventures and the humorous interaction of the characters
during these adventures. The Last Crusade is a just simply a FUN movie to watch. True it is not as serious as the other two movies but to me that is its charm. These are just my own two cents.

Best regards,

Indy Jones Fan

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: