Chapter 6 - the Heart of Shiva

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by walker from 38.152.176.170 on February 26, 1999 at 17:41:54:

Chapter 6 by walker

The voice had an uncommon accent that Indy couldn’t quite place - similar to Indian but heavier, with a slighter lilt on the stressed syllables. He turned, memory racing. In the doorway stood a lean dark-skinned man of perhaps just over 40 years of age, his thick dark hair cropped close and peppered with gray. He was definately from somewhere around the Indian sub-continent, Indy was sure. The man continued smiling, saying nothing for the few moments it took Indy to place him. When the connection came, Indy threw back his head and bellowed a laugh of pleasure.

“Patar Kali - sonuvagun!” Indy walked around his chair and shook the other man’s hand happily. “It’s been - my god, it’s been over ten years!”

“Ten years too long, my friend,” Kali answered. “You’ve been well?”

“I’ve been well, better, and worse. Today I’m better.” Indy turned to the Italian. “Cianelli, Kali’s the best archaeologist in the east. Did you know we’ve worked together before?”

“Dr. Kali is the man who recommended you to me. And yes, I’ve heard the story of your previous expedition together - the search for Buddha’s lost covenant. How was it you described the quest to me, Patar? Like a thunderstorm, sweeping across the Orient?” Kali nodded with amusement.

Curiouser and curioser, Indy thought. First Roshann now Kali. After all these years I’m getting to be like Sophie - a damned mentalist! “Well, Patar probably has fonder memories of the event than I do. He returned to Nepal before I met back up with Roshann. Having to deal with him again kind of put a damper on the whole experience.”

At this, Kali’s face grew sober. “And in the ten years since, myself and many other scientists have had to dodge, bribe, flee or otherwise deal with the accursed pirate. He has grown mad from his corruption - once a master criminal, now a raving psychopath. Of course, only those of us who get in his way have seen that side of him. He’s learned to be quite charming with the both the government and the press.”

Indy nodded, remembering the smooth, cultured way in which Roshann operated. “One day, however, we will bring the old ghoul down,” Kali continued. “His money simply buys him time.”

“Well said,” Cianelli chimed in. “Now do you have a little more faith in our expedition, Dr. Jones?”

Indy pursed his lips in thought, looking from Kali to Cianelli. One man he could trust with his life, the other - a wealthy enigma. He would, for a time, have to put his faith in Kali’s good judgement. “Count me in,” he said.

walker, here. For those of you needing a little background on Patar Kali, here it is:
First appeared in the Dark Horse mini-series IJ:Thunder in the Orient.
He was (1938-39) an exceptional, although relatively young, Nepalese anthropologist/archaeologist who assisted Indy in a hunt for the lost Covenant of Buddha.
He is proficient in reading sanskrit, riding horses, rifle and pistol shooting. He was also good in a fight.
He had dark skin, hair and eyes. In the 10 years since, I've added a little grey to the hair.
Probably stands about 5'10, and maybe 170 pounds, very lean build.
He and Indy became good friends, having saved each other's butts numerous times.
A good character, much like Indy himself.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]