Re: A few questions about the Mark VII bag...

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts2-h1-49-197.ispmodems.net on March 05, 1999 at 09:59:48:

In Reply to: A few questions about the Mark VII bag... posted by Satipo on March 04, 1999 at 10:47:17:

: Today I received the bag that I ordered from What Price Glory last week. It is in excellent condition apart from a couple of aspects that I will now ask you fellow bag owners about.

: 1) What is the purpose of the grey metal disc that is attached to one side of the bag, and was it removed from Indy's bag, as I do not recall seeing it in the films?

You can see the disc in the films, watch in Raiders where the truck explodes, or the scene with the crowd parting for the arab swordsman. I think what it was used for was to give the string a place to anchor to. The idea was to wrap the string around your waist and secure it so it wouldn't flop around while running.

: 2) What condition were your bag's metal parts in when you bought it? On mine, the strap rings and adjuster do not have the smooth polished surface I imagined they would. Instead, they are fairly corroded looking, but not rusted. Whereas, the disc I refer to in question 1 has about a third of its surface rusted, and has marked the surrounding material with an orange stain.

I live near to What Price Glory and went to Jerry's house and picked through the bags. On nearly all of them there was corrosion or dulling of the metal parts, and many had small rust stains.

: 3) What are all the bits of string for?

The one going from the small outside pocket is for tying around the waist, the other inside the bag ( attached to the small pocket in the middle flap) is for tying around a little can of sealer for the gas mask. One of my bags from What Price Glory had a very rusty can of this in it.

: 4) My bag is dated 1943. Does this mean that it would have been impossible for Indy to have really had such a bag in the years the films took place?

Of course it does! :-)> These anachronisms are great, aren't they? It's similar to the Last Crusade zippo, where the film is set in 1938 and the lighter is of the current modern style.( Yes I know that the style hasn't changed much, but it is still the wrong style)

Anyway I hope this helped. If you are too disappointed in the quality of your bags call the "Roadster Factory" and order some of their bags, which are un-issued and in PERFECT shape. I am much happier with my clean bags, even though they cost a little more.

The Roadster Factory number is on this page I think. I'll post back later with the info (I have a catalog from them)

Adios ;-)>
John

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: