Re: Secret of the Sphinx comment

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JAY from 60.atlanta-03.ga.dial-access.att.net on March 05, 1999 at 20:24:11:

In Reply to: Secret of the Sphinx comment posted by Steve on March 05, 1999 at 13:43:17:

: been reading Max McCoy's Secret of the Shinx novel (my first Indy novel, actually). I enjoy McCoy's writing style. One thing, though, is that I don't agree with some of his views integrated into the story.

: Aaron's Staff has been blown up into a power all its own. In the book of Exodus, it always words the miracles as coming straight from God's power. Secret of the Shinx denotes this idea as Aaron's Staff being "the first magic wand". Not so.

: Now, maybe I should tone down, because this is fiction, but with my Christian upbringing, I can't keep quiet about this. The Staff itself didn't do the miracles. God performed these works of wonder to save the Israelites and to prove that he is the almighty. McCoy's novel barely hints at God. There's one part where Indy says it "killed the Egyptians firstborn sons." He should actually take a closer look at the book of Exodus. God caused the angel of death to come to Egypt, while Moses, Aaron, AND the staff sat inside a house, with lamb's blood on the door. (Exodus 12)

: True, God asked Moses to hold the rod in his hand for the happenings (all but the death of the firstborn), but the true power rested in God's hands.

: ~Steve

i agree with you steve. reducing arrons staff to little more than a magic wand annoyed me as well. also i felt the staffb was a cool enough artifact to be the subject of a story all its own,not just a key to unlock the sphinx.i was also confused as to why the story identified the sister of moses as a sorceress.its been a while since i read exodus but i dont think thats in there .other than these misgivings i really enjoyed this book...one of the best

JAY

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]