Re: Just saying hi and some archaeology

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12-686.utsi.edu on March 06, 1999 at 10:58:19:

In Reply to: Just saying hi and some archaeology posted by Mark Indy Szarkowski on March 06, 1999 at 10:31:49:

: Hi all!

: To the archeologists here, I have a question that's been with me for a while now and I'd really appreciate if anybody could help. What are the chances of doing graduate school in archaeology after you have a bachelors degree in a completely unrelated field? I'm what could probably be best described as an armchair archaeologist, I love the field but am currently pursuing a different course of study (in professional aviation.) Is this possible at all, or would I have to get a bachelors first? I realize it would probably involve catching up with a lot of fieldwork, but that's the fun part.

: I'm thinking of the University of Chicago - the same school Indy went to!!! :) You know, the Oriental Institute and all...

: I know, it's not exactly like Indy anymore (in fact it never was), but I find it exciting nevertheless.

: Can anybody comment?

: Mark
: szarkom@pr.erau.edu

Working at a graduate level university myself, I'd have to say it would depend entirely on the university as to whether it would accept your undergraduate degree as prerequisite work toward one in archeology. You aviation degree would be accepted in an engineering master's program, such as Engineering Management at my campus, The University of Tennessee, but then your degree has the basic engineering course work needed to proceed in this field. Archeology, being a subset of anthropology, a science, I don't believe would look upon the engineering under degree as acceptable. Once again, I suppose it would depend on the university, but it would surprise me as your work and archeology are two completely different desciplines. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]