Re: An Indy Gear Testimonial

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bosh Talk from spider-tj074.proxy.aol.com on March 07, 1999 at 20:37:50:

In Reply to: An Indy Gear Testimonial posted by Indy Magnoli on March 07, 1999 at 20:05:38:

: The last three days I spent hiking (or "tramping" as they say here) through the New Zealand bush, a typical rain forest sans most of the insects, with a full pack on my back. Along with me on this adventure was my Herbert Johnson McAlpine fedora, my MGM leather jacket (the original model), the Alden boots, WWII Gas Mask bag, and the famous "Lucky Charm" lighter.

: The entire second day was spend hiking through the forest under cover of rain. The thick felt of my Herbert Johnson fought the rain longer than any other fedora I've worn. Ultimately it became completely saturated, resembling the unrecognizable mass atop Indy's head when he's climbing abour Jock's biplane in Raiders. It took quite a bit of "babying" to allow it to dry to its original shape (a process which took almost two full days).

: Although I don't own a Wested Leather jacket, my original model MGM jacket has served me well in all climates all over the world. This time it faced a constant downpour of water. Much like the fedora, it held out the rain as long as it could, but finally succumed to the forces of nature. And, like the hat, it became a heavy mass once saturated. It dried reletively quickly and looks as good as new (if not better).

: The Alden boots held up suprisingly well against the elements. I tramped through rivers and mud, keeping these boots damp the entire trip. The only problems I had was that the heel began to pull away from the boot with the constant stress of climbing up and down rocks. I've already had these boots for almost two years, so under these conditions they performed very well. Not to mention these are probably the most comfortable boots you'll find.

: The famous British gas mask bag spent most of the trip tucked away in my backpack but, when stuffed with excess clothes, made a great make-shift pillow!

: Finally, although the four leaf clover lighter is no different than any other Zippo, I though you'd appreciate this story. As we were heading toward our first destination the sun was setting. We were falling behind schedule as we ascended the dark mountain side. Our batteries began to die so we soon switched to some votive candles found in our med kits. It wasn't long before I whipped out my "Lucky Charm" Zippo to light the way. Although my companions didn't appreciate the origin of this lighter, they did like the fact that our savior was from a Zippo adorned with a four leaf clover.

: So… two tired thumbs up for all my Indy gear!

: It's not the age, it's the mileage,
: Indy

I was in both Australia and New Zealand with the Indy (USS INDEPENDENCE) battle group March of 97'. I went on a couple safari tours (including the rainforests of Queensland). Ummmm, I have no idea how anyone could survive for 5 minutes wearing a leather jacket in that heat & humidity. Breathable quick-dry nylon seemed to be the call of the day....even for the old "busher's", who seemed like the old Crocodile Dundee types.
Not saying it's not true....just seems like self torture. It's boiling summer down there right now.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]