Re: The submarine

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by red four from oak-ts1-h2-48-235.ispmodems.net on March 08, 1999 at 11:48:00:

In Reply to: The submarine posted by The Northlander on March 08, 1999 at 09:04:56:

: : : I know that the nazi's had the wrong staff length because only one side of the ra headpiece was burned into toht's hand. But, how did they figure out where to dig, they didn't have a headpiece to shoot a laser at the a spoton the map room floor, all they had was the writings describing the staff length. Second, Why did only looking away from the ark save indy and marion? Third, Did the sub indy was on ever go underwater? If so how did indy get inside? It doesn't make sense to be in a sub and travel on the surface.

: : 3. The sub probably never went underwater... given the additional
: : power drain necessary for a sub to travel while submerged, subs
: : would only submerge (usually) during combat. Given the events
: : of Raiders took place before WWII, the Nazis would not likely
: : have traveled while submerged.

: Actually, it did, but the periscope remained above water. Indy held himself on with his whip, and even used his jacket to make an air pocket when the sub entered the undersea opening to the secret island base. You can find these scenes in the script and in the comic book (and probably the novelization). I have no idea if they were filmed, but obviously they were cut from the story at some point.

: -Northy-

The sub scene WAS filmed, but in miniature. I have a collectors album that I purchased at the theater where I saw Raiders, that shows some ILM guys filming a miniature sub with a little model Indy hanging on the periscope.

If I ever get a scanner this will be one of the first pictures I post!

John

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]