STANLEY KUBRICK, 1928-1999

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam from mw-204-80-123-10.metawire.com on March 08, 1999 at 17:22:46:

Perhaps this has NOTHING to do with Indiana Jones, but as it has a profound relevance to cinema and moviegoers everywhere.

Stanley Kubrick, who inspired a generation of filmmakers (Spielberg included) and filmmaker wannabes (myself included), died yesterday in his England home of a heart attack.

Perhaps many younger readers will not know the name Stanley Kubrick, for he was notorious for taking his time with films (his last one was 12 years ago). But certainly most, if not all, have come across at least one of his projects. They include 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, BARRY LYNDON, THE SHINING, FULL METAL JACKET, DR. STRANGELOVE, LOLITA, SPARTACUS, and PATHS OF GLORY.

He worked in nearly every genre imaginable, and yet made each tale with an imprint very much his own.

Many of you may scoff at my saying this here... But, more than any other filmmaker, Kubrick's work has inspired me to work in the industry I am in.

Think of 20 years ago, when an aspiring musician learned of John Lennon's death. They may not have known Lennon personally, and yet somehow they react to his work in a way that is very personal, very private, and very life changing. That is how I felt with Mr. Kubrick.
Kubrick's last film, EYES WIDE SHUT, is scheduled for a July release. He screened his final cut for Warner Brothers, Tom Cruise, and Nicole Kidman just five days before his death.

Many of us are fans of the recent work of Spielberg, Lucas, and Cameron... All of whom have publicly acknowledged Kubrick's influence upon their work (if not inspiring them to make movies in the first place). It is not too radical a comment to suggest that Kubrick was the grandfather who paved the way for these future generations of filmmakers to do what they do.

Sure, life goes on. And so will movies. But the theater seems a little darker now that Stanley Kubrick is no longer within it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]