Chp 11 The Heart of Shiva (finally!)

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mack from 168.191.184.92 on March 08, 1999 at 23:04:34:

The next morning, Indy and Kali lounged around in there fancy room. Or rather, Kali was lounging around reading the local paper. Indy was pacing back and forth searching his own head for a place to start looking. He and Kali had spent most of the night searching the room for a clue that Cianelli might have left them. Their efforts were in vein. Indy was very frustrated. "All right," Indy said, "We know that this cache is supposed to be in Tibet if it exists at all, right?"
"Mmm hmm," Kali mumbled without lifting his head from his paper.
"Right," Indy continued. "That's thousands of square miles of a heavily mountainous region. Where on earth are we gonna start looking?" Indy asked with escelating agitation.
"Maybe," Kali said, "You might want to consider asking Roshann yourself." Indy's face got red at this suggestion.
"Absolutley out of the question," Indy said. "I can never look at him in the face again. He's gonna have to come to me if he wants to see me."

Indy continued to pace, trying to figure out what to do. At nearly the same time, both men came upon two seperate, but intrigueing revelations. When Indy turned to reveal his to Kali, Kali beat him to the punch. He through his paper down on the table. Indy picked it up and began to read. "Archaeologist Missing Looking For Roshann's Prize," the caption read. " Dr. Fredrique Armonde, a french archaeologist, has been missing for several days since he left to find Roshann's fabled treasure cache. When we asked the doctor's assistant, who is here in Delhi, about where Armonde was going, he could only say that he went west, perhaps to Kathmandu."
"I knew Fredrique," Indy said. "He was very good."
"Well there you have it," Kali said excitedly, "We are off to Kathmandu."

Indy paused for a moment. The news paper had only confirmed him in his revelation. He knew what was ahead, and he knew he would hate it. "I have no doubt in my mind that Fredrique went west," Indy said, "But not to Kathmandu."
"Well where then," Kali said.
Indy thought. Oh well, at least it was a better alternative to Roshann.

Indy and Kali stepped into the tavern. They were both wearing heavy furs to keep the freezing temperature at bay. "Damn, it's cold," Kali proclaimed. "It'll get even colder in here," Indy said. They both looked around. They saw that, despite the remote location, this bar was a happening place. All the tables were filled with people laughing, shouting, and drinking. Under normal sircumstances, Indy would feel obliged to join in the fun, but fun wasn't on his agenda tonight. He noticed a particularly large and noisy group huddled around a table from which he frequently heard shouts. He knew what that probably meant.

He and Kali muscled there way through the group. In the center was a table covered with empty shot glasses and two figures setting on both ends. One was a short, husky man. The other was a slender woman in her forties. Kali couldn't help but notice how attractive she was despite her age. Indy noticed Kali's attraction and gave him a cautioning look. Kali got the hint. When both people took a shot of some kind of hard liquor, the crowd started laughing, hooping, and haulering. The woman turned to smile at the crowd, but the smile was soon discouraged when she saw Indy's face. She immediately stood up and quickly approached him, getting ready to give him a strong left hook. Indy was able to block it. "Oooooohhhhh," the crowd said. Indy began to smile, but it was knocked out of him by her right hand. The crowd went wild. The punch was srong enough to nearly knock him out. "You're getting good at that, Marrion," Indy said in a half daze.
"I've been getting lots of practice hitting people while running this dive," she replied.
"I thought you said you two were once lovers," Kali said as Marrion sat back down at the table and tolled the crowd the game was over.
"We were about 12 or 13 years ago," Indy said. "We didn't part on very good terms."
"As I remember it," Marrion said, "We didn't part on any terms, Dr. Jones."
"I got called away on bussiness," Indy rebutted, "You know I do a lot of traveling in my line of work."
"But I didn't get a letter or a telegram or nothing," she said angrily, "You just disappeared off the face of the earth." Indy sat down across from her.
"You don't know how hard it was to come home to see you gone," Indy said.
"Yes Indy," she replied, "I know exactly how that feels."
"Right," Indy continued, "But I didn't leave you a letter saying how much I hated your guts and that I didn't want to see you again."
"I meant everything I wrote," she said. "In fact, why are you here?"
"Have you ever heard of Roshann's prize?" Indy asked. Marrion began to laugh.
"Of course," she said, "That thing has been giving me a lot of bussiness lately. I didn't think you'de get involved because of Roshann."
"Well, I wouldn't," Indy said, "If I wasn't given a large sum of money. Besides, you can bet this bar that If I get a hold of the Buddha's treasure, Roshann won't see any of it."
"Well, then, you have a lot of catching up to do," she said, "People have been coming in here for the past couple of weeks asking about it."
"Have you told them anything," Indy asked.
"Of course," she replied, "I don't hold out for you anymore."
"What have been giving them," he asked.
"My father had a hand drawn map," she said, "I don't know where he got it, but everyone seems to think it's an important clue."
"Who did you give the map to," he asked.
"No one," she said. "I've just been handing out copies."
"I'de appreciate it if you gave me the real thing," he said.
"And why should I do that?" she asked.
"Because, before I go home, I'm gonna give you a whole lot of money." She thought for a moment. "Fine," she said, "But if you bail on me one more time, you better not ever come back." She handed him the map. "Besides," she continued, "I have a feeling you'll be the winning team.

On there way out, he turned back and asked "You wanna come with us and stick with the winning team?"
"No," she said, looking around the bar, "I'm doing fine without you, Jones."

With that, they said there good-bys and left. Marrion was about to get back to her bartending duties when she noticed a suspicious blonde woman, who appeared American, leave right after Indy and Kali. Shit, she thought to herself. She walked into the back room and pulled out the REAL map her father drew. Damn it, Jones, she thought. Why do I do this for you? She went back into the bar and closed the place up. She was soon on her way to the treasure herself. She would no doubt run into Indy along the way.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]