Re: Kubrick wasn't a MAIN inspiration for Spielberg

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam from mw-204-80-123-10.metawire.com on March 09, 1999 at 16:59:01:

In Reply to: Kubrick wasn't a MAIN inspiration for Spielberg posted by Brett (Yasim) Lambert on March 09, 1999 at 14:56:00:

: Granted, Spielberg was affected by Dr. Strangelove, but he wasn't the main inspiration. He was much more inspired by David Lean, Alfred Hitchcock, John Ford, Francois Truffaut, Cecil B. DeMille, and Walt Disney. I have read Spielberg's biography, and it hardly even mentions Kubrick (I think only one page at the most). In this biography, they go on and on about the impact David Lean and Alfred Hitchcock had on Spielberg (and it is obvious in a few of his movies). With Kubrick, you can't tell that Spielberg was inspired by his movies. Plus, I don't think the movie theatre will be emptier without Kubrick because he hasn't made a film for 12 years, and he hasn't made a hit film for even longer.

Brett, I didn't say the theaters would be EMPTIER, I said the theaters would seem darker. It was an allegory not based on number of tickets bought and box office grosses, but a tribute to someone whose absense will be sorely missed.

Spielberg was indeed influenced by Kubrick, as well as Lean and Disney. While his style was almost 180 degrees apart from Kubrick's, he had admitted many times that Kubrick's work was a source of inspiration. He attributed 2001 largely to his development of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND, in particular.

I think you've misinterpreted the point of my message altogether, and have jumped a little too hastily in a possible desire to disagree with me. I am not here to weigh the merits of one filmmaker to another. Merely pay respects to someone who deserved it.

Nevertheless, ANY talk about Kubrick's work is better than none.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]