Re: Herbert Johnson "scoop"

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Indy Magnoli from lobolab31.unm.edu on March 26, 1998 at 12:45:08:

In Reply to: Re: Herbert Johnson "scoop" posted by Greg on March 25, 1998 at 20:26:38:

: My "Poet" actually didn't look a whole lot like the movie fedoras in the crown until I had the petersham ribbon put on to replace the polyester satin one put on at HJ, and the crown steamed and re-creased.

The one he'd made for me looked great just much too dark.

: And actually, the color of my hat is damn near identical to the movie hat. Remember also, the hats in the movies were getting mighty dirty (which will inevitably cause the felt to look like a lighter shade of brown).

I think you just got lucky with that felt. I noticed that each hat (in the mid range colors) in the shop had differnt shades. I think you can tell when the hat is lighter do to dirt (esp. during the tank chase scene).

: I'd love to see the Trilby, though-I plan on buying another hat (to have one to keep nice and the other to not worry about).

After looking at several hats styles and felt types, we'd agreed that the Trilby is better suited for heavy wear. The felt is actually a softer, more pliable cloth than the Poet's also leading me to believe that they used the Trilby in Temple and Crusade. (Notice when Indy pushes his hat down after Sallah's brother-in-law's car explodes. He hardly touches it and is is squished on his head). The Poet I saw was quite a bit stiffer. Maybe I just saw a lemon of a Poet.

: Has Mr. Swales been able to find any more of the Petersham ribbon to put on the hats?

Nope. He's still got the silk type. But he didn't seem to mind not having the Petersham.

-Indy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]