Chapter 18 --- The Heart of Shiva

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tessa from ce.tel.ilstu.edu on March 15, 1999 at 09:00:10:

Chapter 18

Indy was led to Roshann’s household outside of Goa, inside a private room where he was commanded to wait for Roshann. Roshann came in the door and Indy demanded,
“Where is she?”
“Well, well, Dr. Jones, you certainly don’t waste anytime.”
“Get to the point.”
“You remember what I said the last time, Dr. Jones? That I would kill you if we met again?”
“I would never let that happen.”
“Still the cynic, I see,” laughing to himself and hears a knock on the door.
“Who is there?”
“Master, I have what you asked for.”
“Very well, come on in.”
Another man came in with Kate, her face dirty and her clothes torn in various places, and saw Indy. Indy went to her, hugged her tight as she whispered,
“I’m sorry.”
“Dr. Jones,” Roshann said, “I will not kill you if you leave Goa right now. There’s a car outside to take you to the airport. We’ll have your things sent back to the States or wherever you go. On my expense.”
Indy thought a bit and asked,
“And if I refuse?”
“I will kill you and your lady friend,” gesturing to Kate.
Indy looked at Kate as she said,
“Do what you think is right, Indy. I won’t regret your decision.”
Indy nodded as he said,
“Roshann, you can…”
Then they heard gun shots as Roshann turned around and said,
“What the.” as he was hit with gunfire.
Indy pulled Kate to the ground as the door opened and heard,
“Indy, Kate, where are you?”
Indy looked up and saw Eliot and Rampage come through the door and said,
“Over here,” as he stood up and helped Kate to her feet.
“Marion and Patar are here somewhere,” Eliot said.
“Marion?” Kate asked.
“Marion Ravenwood,” Eliot said, “Her father taught at the University years ago.”
“Ah, the teenage girl,” looking at Indy, “You had a relationship with her years back, right?”
Indy nodded and said, “She’s living here now.”
Marion and Patar came in as Marion said,
“We found your gun and whip, Indy,” handing it to him, “We should get the hell out of here.”
“I agree,” Patar said.
They left Roshann’s place and headed back to Goa. Kate looked at Indy and said,
“I’m sorry I came, Indy, but I was worried when Eliot told me what was going on.”
“It’s alright, Kate,” putting his arm around her.
Marion looked at them and said,
“Watch out for him, lady. He’s known to break hearts.”
“I know that, Marion,” stubbornly, as they drove to town.

Kate was back in her room, getting cleaned up. She was in the tub, taking a bath, when Indy called out,
“Kate?”
“In the bathroom, Indy.”
Indy stood in the doorway, grinned at her, and said,
“How’s my girl?”
“Fine,” smiling, “I don’t think I want your job though.”
Indy laughed and asked,
“Do you need any help?”
“Unless you want to join me.”
“Not now, maybe later.”
“I’ll keep that in mind,” she said as she pulled the plug out and reached for a towel to dry off. Indy looked at her and said,
“How come you’re so beautiful?”
“Beauty is only the eye for the beholder,” she replied as she dried herself off and put on her robe. Indy smiled and said,
“Are you sure you’re in the right field?”
“Last I checked,” facing him and started to say,
“Indy, there’s something I need to tell you…”
“I know, Kate.”
Kate’s eyes widened and said,
“You know?”
“Eliot told me,” looking at her, “Why didn’t you tell me?”
“It still hurts to talk about it,” as she walked out of the bathroom and sat on the bed.
“Tell me what happened.”
Kate took a deep breath and said,
“I was looking forward for us to go to Sorbonne, visit France, find my roots, and be with you. I went to the doctor a week before graduation because I was feeling sick. I thought I was coming down with the flu,” looking at Indy.
“Go on.”
“The day before graduation, I found out I was pregnant. When the doctor called me to tell me to come to his office, I was afraid to go alone and asked Eliot to come with me.”
“Why not me?”
“I don’t know for sure, but I wanted someone I could confide in. And Eliot and I grew up together as kids.”
“Ok, you found out you were pregnant, what happened?”
“I told Eliot not to tell you, so I could tell you first. But then I realized what dreams you would be giving up. I heard the stories about these things and was afraid of you hating me for this. So I though I would break it off, rather than having you now. You don’t know how hard it was for me.”
Indy nodded as he croaked,
“Eliot said you lost the baby.”
Kate nodded and said, “It was in August, two weeks before my parents were due in Paris. I was having pains in my back and didn’t think anything of it. I passed out in my bedroom where my mom found me and took me to the hospital. The doctor told me I lost the baby,” crying a bit, “I blamed myself for many years until I realized it wasn’t my fault.”
Indy held her in his arms as she said,
“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner. I was frightened, Indy, please understand that.”
Indy looked at her, and said,
“I understand,” giving her a kiss, “But Kate, remember I love you. You’re the most important person in my life. I don’t want to lose you again.”
“Promise, Dr. Jones?”
Indy nodded as he said,
“After today, I realized something else.”
“What’s that?”
“Life’s too short,” looking at her, “How would you feel getting married, right now?”
“Now?”
Indy nodded as he said,
“I know you wanted a big wedding, but we could have one when we get back to the States.”
Kate smiled and said,
“Yes.” The sweetest word he ever heard as he kissed her and said,
“But first, let me show you how much I love you,” he drew close the shades and locked the doors.

Ok, I'm back and wrote this idea over the weekend. Have fun now.

Tessa

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]