Where to begin?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aragorn from val-pm1-029.inetnebr.com on March 16, 1999 at 08:28:02:

In Reply to: Re: I hope you're talking about trilogies in reference to movies posted by LFM on March 16, 1999 at 04:30:36:

: So what the hey is Lord of the Rings? I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with that trilogy. And how is it the greatest of all time? I could say something else, but I won't.
: LFM

"The Lord of the Rings" is a trilogy of books, the work of an Oxford professor named J. R. R. Tolkien. A trilogy to be made into three movies this next year. It's a story of the struggle between good and evil, written some time before Star Wars, and has GOT to be the greatest story ever written (excepting the Bible and perhaps Tolkien's other great work, "The Silmarillion").

I'll set the story up for you, LFM, and whoever else might care. We're taken to a world, an ancient and forgotten earth, from some lost chapter of our earliest histories. Then it is written of how an immortal enemy, a demon named Sauron, had forged Rings of ancient and forgotten power, Rings which would give him mastery of the world. Some Rings were lost, others taken, others kept by those who forged them. One final Ring was also made, the greatest of the Rings, the One Ring to rule them all. Within it all the power of the other Rings was bound. Whoever controlled the greatest of the Rings would have ultimate power. And for a time, that power was Sauron's.

Great wars were fought then, between Sauron's forces and the armies of Elves and Men, during which Sauron was defeated as the Ring was cut from his hand by a human king's sword. The Ring was lost to him, for thousands of years, until one day ages later Sauron discovered where it might again be found.

Now it's up to one man, one little hobbit who came to have the Ring for himself, to keep the Ring from falling back into Sauron's grasp and once again adorning his black, evil finger. It's up to one little hobbit to hold away the darkness. The story begins here.

Aragorn

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]