Re: Widescreen rules! Preach on, brother!

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mithrandir from ppp-207-193-29-30.snantx.swbell.net on March 19, 1999 at 16:02:35:

In Reply to: Re: Widescreen rules! posted by Brian on March 19, 1999 at 05:41:13:

: Totally agree Hannibal. I only buy widescreen movies now.

: At least with widescreen you know you aren't missing anything "behind the bars" but with pan & scan you know you ARE missing something.

: I hate to mention them again (not really! *grin*) but the Star Wars movies are just unwatchable in regular size after watching widescreen.

: The only downside (that I can think of) with widescreen is the reduction in the overall viewing picture. At the moment I have a 21inch tv and widescreen is a little on the small size and on a 14inch portable it's tiny. A friend has one of those 4foot back projected tv screens, and watching widescreen on that, is as good as being at the movies.

: Anyway, that's my 2 pence worth!

: Regards,
: Brian

: PS - Could someone answer this for me:

: Are all DVD movies widescreen? And are they compatible worldwide? (e.g. is there still the PAL and NTSC division?)

I have a library of about 30, 35 widescreen movies. I buy them whenever I can. Besides the movies and DVD, there is nothing better than widescreen. I must agree with you Aragorn. Widescreen is somewhat hampered by a small-screen TV. How I long for one of those $20000(!!!!) flat-screen TVs. AND a surround system. The most advanced we are is left and right speakers. No center, no surround. If any of you feel sorry for me, you may share your grief with me in the form of large denominations of US currency ;-).

We just got a DVD system in our new computer (thanks Mom and Dad!!!) and my current favorite movie is Deep Impact. And when they hit the shelves, I'll be first in line for the Indy DVDs. BTW, I heard somewhere that the Truman Show DVD (next on my list or prospective buys) isn't really in widescreen even though the cover says it is. Can anyone attest to this? Thanks.

BTW, (this is just my opinion) I've decided that a THX movie and a regular DVD, while not having the same amount of resolution lines, have about the same picture quality. Anyone care to comment?

Check six.

-Mithrandir-

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: