Re: A question on director Kazan...this is going to drive me insane if no one knows

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LFM from Gesneri.dw.net on March 22, 1999 at 15:51:02:

In Reply to: Re: A question on director Kazan...this is going to drive me insane if no one knows posted by Michaelson on March 22, 1999 at 15:06:44:

: : Why was there so much controversy over him winning that on oscar. Some people were giving him a standing ovation and some were just sitting there and doing nothing at all(Ed Harris, Nick Nolte, Steven Speilberg) If someone knows why, I will be waiting with open ears. That really intrigued me last night. I felt sorry for the guy.
: : LFM

: He testified before McCarthy's anti-communism board of inquiry back in the 1950's. He was an avowed Communist, but instead of getting put on a black list, he testified against other actors and studio workers and they were black listed from ever working in Hollywood again, or at least many of them never worked again. He, on the other hand, went right on working because he had testified. A black time in American history. Regards. Michaelson

Wow, that's pretty interesting. I never knew that. I'll have to get a book on it or something. But one other question is, what do people that are about 30 years younger doing not clapping for the guy. Did it have that big of an impact on them when they found out about it, or did they have fathers that were blacklisted?
LFM

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]