Movie influences on SS & GL - a darker Indy?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian from fw128.nhs.uk on March 24, 1999 at 05:20:43:

Just recently purchased Treasure of the Sierra Madre (which I have also seen about 6 times - great film).

This, as most of you will know, was one of the many films that inspired SS & GL to make Raiders. In particular the protagonist Fred C. Dobbs was to be reflected in Indy's character, although very little actually rubbed off on Harrison Ford.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's not a Raiders type adventure. It's about gold diggers in Mexico during the "Rush".

I was wondering what anyone thought, how it would've been if Raiders and in particular, Indiana Jones were more serious and darker (but not like TOD). Treasure of Sierra Madre has a dark side to it and the characters and yet has it's lighter moments.

Also, I feel that Indy can be a bit soft at times. Of course, as Spielberg (or was it Lucas?) said: "..he's vulnerable like the rest of us. He has problems like money, etc..".

If anyone has the Raiders Collector's Edition, or perhaps seen the pre-production paintings of Raiders & Indy, then you might notice that they had a darker image. One which I would love to have seen.

Indy as a smoking, drinking bum that was out for himself and money? That would've worked pretty well too....

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Brian

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: