Colors..and Good Harrison Ford show on CNN last night

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Abner from user-2ive87c.dialup.mindspring.com on March 24, 1999 at 09:09:18:

In Reply to: Colour variations of Indy's kit thru movies..... posted by Brian on March 24, 1999 at 08:13:44:

: Is there a definite variation in the materials used in each of the movies or is it perhaps more to do with lighting, cameras, etc..??

: You can see a more "washed" out colour on Raiders than in say Last Crusade, which everything appears crisper and more defined. Even the jacket is a darker brown in Last Crusade than Raiders.

: Anyone know for sure?

:
: Regards,

: Brian

I always thought the Last Crusade jacket looked lighter and more broken-in than the Raiders jacket, but then again these things are hard to tell. It depends how your TV set is adjusted, and of course the particular cinematography of the film. Colors in a film are rarely "accurate" to life as the cinematographer will for stylistic reasons emphasize different colors. "Saving Private Ryan" is an extreme example- where they were going for an "Old WWII color documentary footage" look.

However, I wouldn't be surprised to learn than the props did change slightly since there were several years between the films. Also "Last Crusade" takes place later so I think they probably wanted to make his jacket look like it had been on more adventures. Then, he put on a nice new shirt and tie to meet his dad.

I taped some bits of the CNN show like the clips of the press conference where Harrison Ford presented the Jacket and Hat to the Smithsonian. I'll try and digitize some stills and post them here. You can clearly see the Hat and Jacket in "ordinary" lighting on videotape. (Although this is not completely "objective" either.)

Abner

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]