Re: Movie influences on SS & GL - a darker Indy?

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Krede from vlb-209-46.ppp.uni2.dk on March 24, 1999 at 12:27:13:

In Reply to: Movie influences on SS & GL - a darker Indy? posted by Brian on March 24, 1999 at 05:20:43:

: Just recently purchased Treasure of the Sierra Madre (which I have also seen about 6 times - great film).

: This, as most of you will know, was one of the many films that inspired SS & GL to make Raiders. In particular the protagonist Fred C. Dobbs was to be reflected in Indy's character, although very little actually rubbed off on Harrison Ford.

: For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's not a Raiders type adventure. It's about gold diggers in Mexico during the "Rush".

: I was wondering what anyone thought, how it would've been if Raiders and in particular, Indiana Jones were more serious and darker (but not like TOD). Treasure of Sierra Madre has a dark side to it and the characters and yet has it's lighter moments.

: Also, I feel that Indy can be a bit soft at times. Of course, as Spielberg (or was it Lucas?) said: "..he's vulnerable like the rest of us. He has problems like money, etc..".

: If anyone has the Raiders Collector's Edition, or perhaps seen the pre-production paintings of Raiders & Indy, then you might notice that they had a darker image. One which I would love to have seen.

: Indy as a smoking, drinking bum that was out for himself and money? That would've worked pretty well too....

: Any thoughts?

: Regards,

: Brian

I don´t know, I think I like Indy the way he is, but he does have dark side. Remember in Raiders
when they first see the stonecase with the ark in it? how Indy´s eyes opens wide as he caresses
the lid until Sallah´s staring make him pull himself together? That, I think, is a portrayal of Indy´s
dark side. But I can´t imagine him as a alcoholic playboy as he was originally envisioned.

regards
Krede

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL: