Re: Gary White's services

[ Reply ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michaelson from em12_686.utsi.edu on April 03, 1998 at 09:46:00:

In Reply to: Gary White's services posted by Michaelson on April 02, 1998 at 15:30:20:

: I plan to attempt a phone call, but in the meantime, has anyone every used Gary White's (Custom Hatmaker) services listed on the X Marks the Spot list? He lists services such as reblocking and cleaning, and I wondered if anyone has had any experience with this end of the business? If so, anyone heard or seen prices for this type service? Thanks in advance. Regards. Michaelson

Well, I made the phone call this morning, and what was warned seems to be the case. Mr. White is a very nice fellow, but is quite high on services too. He said that cleaning and reblocking charges are $40. He also doesn't seem to "high" regarding any other hat makers, other than his own. This did not surprise me, coming from a custom hat maker. I'm not sure exactly who his clientel is, considering his price structure. But anyway, he did state that reblocking a different hat maker's version really couldn't be done correctly into the Indy style, because the original Indy hat had a 6" crown, and no one makes that high a crown anymore. Is this correct? I have seen all forms of discussion regarding brim width,as well as the ribbon, but is the 6" crown correct? Everything I own, or have owned has only been in the 5 -5 1/2" territory. Well, there's my report, short as it is. I guess I'll keep poking around to see who I can find to do my work, and knows what they're doing. The two seem to not go hand in hand anymore. Regards. Michaelson

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup:

Name:    
E-Mail:  
Subject: 
Comments:

Optional:

Link URL:   
Link Title: 
Image URL:  

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Indyfan Forum ] [ FAQ ]